Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some guidance..I was burning points and condenser out in less than 100 miles. Changed resistor wire, coil, points and condenser.. Set dwell to 26 set timing to 8 degrees..drove it about 30 miles and it ran great. Turned it off and would not start..finally got it started and it would bogg down revving the throttle at stand still..what am I missing..it a stock 289 4 barrel w/factory air. Stock distributer..any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Grounds? With weird electrical problems the answer always seems to be grounds.

I think there's supposed to be a ground wire inside the distributor grounding the points to the casing, and then of course your engine to firewall and engine to battery wires.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Yes, Check Grounds.....Also, The 64 1/2 Generator setup also uses a special '64 1/2 Points type Voltage Regulator.

You are using the Original stock '64 1/2 Generator and stock '64 1/2 Voltage Regulator underhood and not a newer Alternator...right?!??

Pics of what you got??!? Pics usually answer 80% of issues.. Post some pics...

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bought a new goundwire for firewall it should be here Monday..my wife had the car half hardily redone before we married. I despise working after someone else. It does still have the generator and regulator. It is titled a 65 but it is a 64 1/2..

·
Registered
168 Posts
Morning
A couple of months back a similar issue occurred with my ignition system and it was a nightmare. In the end it was what Magnus stated the small ground wire connecting the points/condenser place to the case. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
But I can help, you asked for suggestions without a stipulation of helpful.
Heartily not hardily, FE not big block and cucumbers are sensual people are sensuous! Not to mention the proper usage of ellipses.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts