Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got involved in a project car with my brother-in-law. We bought it to flip as is. We had a buyer committed when we bought it but our buyer changed his business model and bailed. This project has been sitting in my bro-in-law's garage in Alabama for 18(?) years. No engine installed. No trans. No diff. No front suspension. Someone started a resto on it but we bought it as it is. LOTS of loose parts. My bro-in-law lives in AL a week a month and I live near Cincinnati so neither of us can conveniently run to the garage to check any questions you may have. I will make every effort to answer your questions. There is a clear North Carolina in his hands. The VIN ends in 137821(early '65 MY my research found). The VIN shows a "U" engine code. Again my research shows that engine was a early '65 MY only engine. VIN and date code stamp on the left apron. There is a strip of red vinyl partially attached to the inside of one rocker that supposedly indicates early '65 MY. We have a 5.0 motor from a Explorer sitting on the garage floor. Motor seems complete with what appears to be FI. I am told those are GT heads but I know nothing about these late model little motors so I can't swear the GT heads are factual. The motor is possibly a 1999. I will attempt to attach a few pictures. I have about 40 but I'm not sure how many I am allowed to post here. There are at least 3 doors, as well as fenders and quarter skins. PM me and I will Pipe Iron Metal Steel Concrete
Composite material Gas Concrete Building material
Motor vehicle Waste Scrap Litter Aerospace engineering
Composite material Gas Concrete Building material
Grey Silver Drizzle Synthetic rubber Steel
Metal Iron
Automotive exterior Windshield Hood Automotive window part Windscreen wiper
Tool
gladly send more pics. Price is $2500. Sorry that this is such a mess. Dave R.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,680 Posts
any pics of the explorer motor?
Any idea of the miles on it?
Where in AL?
Do you any of the interior.
any serious rust Issues?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
any pics of the explorer motor?
Any idea of the miles on it?
Where in AL?
Do you any of the interior.
any serious rust Issues?
Flade, I do have motor pics that were sent to my phone and will post them tomorrow.
I'm checking on motor mileage.
Near Anniston, AL.
I'll post some more pics of the car and parts soon as I can only do 10 pics per post. You judge the rust for yourself.
I don't remember (I have not seen the car in 15 years) any soft parts in the interior but we may have some seats. The pics to be posted will tell. Thanks. Dave R.

·
Registered
7,680 Posts
Engine has an Explorer manifold, but can‘t see the heads well enough to tell if it has GT40 or 40P heads.

·
Premium Member
9,888 Posts
I grew up near Anniston and still have family there. At one time, there were a LOT of vintage Mustangs in the area, a nice club called Model City Mustang Club with an annual show in Oxford...the good old days haha... I still drive mine up there to see my parents etc now and then.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Engine has an Explorer manifold, but can‘t see the heads well enough to tell if it has GT40 or 40P heads.
I have NO idea about identifying these motors. My nephew bought it out of a Explorer to transplant in his Fox Mustang but got married and life took a divergent path. Thanks Flade. Dave R.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I grew up near Anniston and still have family there. At one time, there were a LOT of vintage Mustangs in the area, a nice club called Model City Mustang Club with an annual show in Oxford...the good old days haha... I still drive mine up there to see my parents etc now and then.
I have visited that area several times, staying at my bro-in law's rented house, to attend races at 'dega. I like the area. It would not surprise me if he bought some place in the area so he could sail year round while keeping his home in Cincinnati. Dave R.

·
Registered
7,680 Posts
So a P indicates what about the heads? How are the GT40 heads marked? Thanks Caper50. I am awaiting a text reply from my nephew for more info on the motor. Dave R.
Early Explorers used GT40 heads. Later models used GT40P heads. The easiest way to identify them is by the stripes on the ends of the heads. 40s have 3, Ps have 4.

GT40 Heads | How To Identify - LMR.com

Confirming the heads are GT40 or GT40P heads along with the intake is a good indication the engine did come out of an Explorer and would be a good motor to use assuming is is in good shape.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Early Explorers used GT40 heads. Later models used GT40P heads. The easiest way to identify them is by the stripes on the ends of the heads. 40s have 3, Ps have 4.

GT40 Heads | How To Identify - LMR.com

Confirming the heads are GT40 or GT40P heads along with the intake is a good indication the engine did come out of an Explorer and would be a good motor to use assuming is is in good shape.
Stripes. Are they painted on or cast into the head? Horizontal or vertical? What is the difference between the 40 and 40P head? I assume the 40 is the preferred choice. Thanks Flade. Dave R.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Caper50. I learn something almost daily on these forums. So do you have an opinion on which heads are on this engine? Are the pics clear enough? And which head is the preferred one? Dave R.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.