Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1964 1/2 PROJECT for sale

12K views 73 replies 14 participants last post by  Dave R. 
#1 ·
I got involved in a project car with my brother-in-law. We bought it to flip as is. We had a buyer committed when we bought it but our buyer changed his business model and bailed. This project has been sitting in my bro-in-law's garage in Alabama for 18(?) years. No engine installed. No trans. No diff. No front suspension. Someone started a resto on it but we bought it as it is. LOTS of loose parts. My bro-in-law lives in AL a week a month and I live near Cincinnati so neither of us can conveniently run to the garage to check any questions you may have. I will make every effort to answer your questions. There is a clear North Carolina in his hands. The VIN ends in 137821(early '65 MY my research found). The VIN shows a "U" engine code. Again my research shows that engine was a early '65 MY only engine. VIN and date code stamp on the left apron. There is a strip of red vinyl partially attached to the inside of one rocker that supposedly indicates early '65 MY. We have a 5.0 motor from a Explorer sitting on the garage floor. Motor seems complete with what appears to be FI. I am told those are GT heads but I know nothing about these late model little motors so I can't swear the GT heads are factual. The motor is possibly a 1999. I will attempt to attach a few pictures. I have about 40 but I'm not sure how many I am allowed to post here. There are at least 3 doors, as well as fenders and quarter skins. PM me and I will Pipe Iron Metal Steel Concrete
Composite material Gas Concrete Building material
Motor vehicle Waste Scrap Litter Aerospace engineering
Composite material Gas Concrete Building material
Grey Silver Drizzle Synthetic rubber Steel
Metal Iron
Automotive exterior Windshield Hood Automotive window part Windscreen wiper
Tool
gladly send more pics. Price is $2500. Sorry that this is such a mess. Dave R.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
any pics of the explorer motor?
Any idea of the miles on it?
Where in AL?
Do you any of the interior.
any serious rust Issues?

#3 ·
any pics of the explorer motor?
Any idea of the miles on it?
Where in AL?
Do you any of the interior.
any serious rust Issues?
Flade, I do have motor pics that were sent to my phone and will post them tomorrow.
I'm checking on motor mileage.
Near Anniston, AL.
I'll post some more pics of the car and parts soon as I can only do 10 pics per post. You judge the rust for yourself.
I don't remember (I have not seen the car in 15 years) any soft parts in the interior but we may have some seats. The pics to be posted will tell. Thanks. Dave R.

#11 ·
Engine has an Explorer manifold, but can‘t see the heads well enough to tell if it has GT40 or 40P heads.

#12 ·
I grew up near Anniston and still have family there. At one time, there were a LOT of vintage Mustangs in the area, a nice club called Model City Mustang Club with an annual show in Oxford...the good old days haha... I still drive mine up there to see my parents etc now and then.

#15 ·
I have visited that area several times, staying at my bro-in law's rented house, to attend races at 'dega. I like the area. It would not surprise me if he bought some place in the area so he could sail year round while keeping his home in Cincinnati. Dave R.

#24 ·
Which is preferred really depends on the use. If you are upgrading a modern roller block 5.0, the GT40 heads are great, especially if you plan to add a supercharger because the 40s have larger chambers. If you are upgrading a classic 289 or 302, the P heads can be better because the smaller chambers keeps you from loosing compression. A down side of the Ps is the modified plug angle. It improves combustion, but most headers won’t fit with it. HiPo manifolds will work with a little trimming. If you are swapping a whole motor, then GT40 or GT40P doesn’t really matter except for the headers issue

#30 ·
GT40 Heads:

Looking at FRONT of each head (if standing in FRONT of motor), on the end of each head, you will see (3) vertical "bars". You do not have to remove any valve covers, or any other parts to see these markings.

Looking at the TOP of the heads, at the front corner (top, outside and near bottom corner of valve cover - towards water pump) you will see the letters "GT" stamped into the head casting. You can also see the same cast letters near the head's first bolt hole (again, closest to water pump). You do not need to remove the valve covers or any other parts to see the casting letters.

NOTE: The standard GT40 heads were used on all 1993-95 5.0 Mustang SVT Cobras and up to the mid-year 1997.5 Ford 5.0 Explorers.

~~

GT40P Heads:

Looking at FRONT of each head (if standing in FRONT of motor), on the end of each head, you will see (4) vertical "bars". You do not have to remove any valve covers, or any other parts to see these markings.

Looking at the TOP of each head, at the front corner (topside and near bottom corner of valve cover - towards water pump) you will see the letters "GTP" OR “P” stamped into the head casting. You can also see the same cast letters near the head's first bolt hole (again, closest to water pump). You do not need to remove the valve covers or any other parts to see the casting letters

GT40P's will not have the emissions crossover ports on the back of the head for the steel emissions tubing for smog pump/exhaust.

—-

As to which is preferred, GT40’s are the most common and usually the preferred head due to not needing “GT40P” specific headers. Trying to find GT40P specific headers TODAY is a PIA because most Companies that did make them have since closed shop OR have stopped production being there’s no mass demand for them anymore. You could find them used, but it’s like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

The problem w/ GT40P heads & header issues, lies mainly on the passenger side head due to the severe spark plug angles, with the worse being plugs # 3 & 4. You will need to get yourself a set of ignition wires that have a 90* boot, instead of the common 45* boot. You will also need to get High Temp ignition wire boots (non-flammable & heat resistant up to 1200*), because if you do not, you will be burning up ignition wires.

Even with using the specific GT40P headers (which used to be made by Ford Racing or MAC), changing out the plugs is still a PIA because of the spark plug angles.

———

There’s this excellent archived web page that has the complete details on GT40/GT40P heads:

——

Good luck with the sale - definitely an excellent asking price for all that is bundled.

#32 · (Edited)
If that is a stock Explorer engine, looking at intake manifold...it would have the GT40 heads.

The upper intake is solid by the throttle body.

The upper intake with a notch (upside down vee) by throttle body has GT40P heads.

Still have to verify GT or P cast into heads or the bars.

#33 ·
Ok Nos681. Thanks for that pointer on identifying this motor. I wish I had access to the car, motor and parts but as I stated above I'm in SW Ohio and that stuff is in central Alabama. I'll show my bro-in-law what he needs to look for on his next trip to 'bama. Dave R.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.