Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I have a question I was hoping someone could help me with. I just purchased a Caspian blue 1964 1/2 coupe. It has a 289 4v and a 4 speed tranny. As far as I can tell, all numbers match. The one thing that has thrown me for a loop is that the door tag states "E" for the transmission code. Of all the research I have done, I cannot find reference to the "E" except for HP Books 'Mustang Restoration Handbook'. This manual states that an E code exists, however it does not specify what year it belongs to. For any of you who have this book, I am referring to page 24. I have no reason to believe that the door tag has been replaced, although I guess anything is possible.

I'm not sure if it matters but the DSO is Ford of Canada.

Anyway, I hope someone can help shed some light on this, as it's the only thing on my car that has me stumped.

Regards,

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Just a thought. The letters and numbers often do not line up directly over the listing on the door tags - especially near the axle and trans. Could you be seeing the rearend over the listing of TRANS?

Seen it many times (trans is next, at or under retaining rivet) where these were misaligned

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jeff,

The last two digits are "1" (3.00:1 axle) followed by "E" (transmission).

·
Premium Member
19,175 Posts
Door tags and apron-stamped VINs occasionally have typos. Suppose a Falcon has a true E code tranny, but the Mustang does not. The door tags were not computer-controlled stampings, but done by humans. And we KNOW that Ford workers NEVER made any mistakes...

I wonder if a 64.5 Shop Manual might have the E code listed for Falcons or Comets. Were there any other cars on this Dearborn assembly line? or were full-size Fords also produced on this assembly line? I presume this is a Dearborn car...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes it's a Dearborn car. I have a pic of the data plate but cannot figure out how to post it.

Thanks for the suggestion of looking into the other Dearborn models for an "E" code.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
I checked the Mustang Production Guide. There are several 64.5's and 65's with an F, which the guide says is a C4 code sometimes used for Canada cars. There are a few E codes, which are not decoded. There were even a few A codes. The common denominator for all of these is that they are on Canada cars. The E is probably a 4spd code similar to the C4 code only for some Canada bound cars. I wonder if there's any mechanical difference in the transmission or if it's just the code that's different.

Frank

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not sure if anyone is still following this old thread, but I also have a car with an “E” for the transmission code. DSO is 81, so Ford of Canada, Axle 6(2.80:1 verifies), Trans E. Sched Build Date was 25S, so a much later 65. The car came to me with a top loader 4-speed in it, it was very gunky, but no way to say for sure that was the one from the factory. The data plate had been painted over and was fairly rough, so I removed it to read it from the back and be sure of what I was seeing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
assuming the 64.5 was considered the start of the 65 model year the mustang and cougar tag book indicates on the 1965 trans chart that e code was a 4 speed Canadian usage only

1 - 13 of 13 Posts