Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed this kit?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3220432954...1819cdd16e0a4e908b27eadfff5f51d&ul_noapp=true

And if so, what do you think?

I have a stock 65 vert with 289 & Automatic. It has manual drums all around with aftermarket 14" Styled Steel Wheels (standard offset).
I've upgraded the master cylinder to a duel bowl for front drums (CJPony conversion) but do not currently have an adjustable proportioning valve.

Thanks,
Ock

·
Super Moderator
10,750 Posts
Why not stick with a brand name?

Preferably a vendor from the board.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I haven't seen any kits on VMF that don't include a new MC and proportioning block.
I guess my real question is if this kit will work without swapping the MC out (as I've already upgraded by MC once), then why won't the lower end parts of the other kits?
And if an adjustable proportioning block is required, would the duel MC I have work (believe it to be similar to the 67 duel bowl)?
Was looking at the CSRP kit, but wanted to confirm that I would need a new MC.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
THIS KIT IS EVEN PRETTIER. Offered by the same manufacturer "BRO-SPEED" Who I never heard of but the photo sure is purty. I would go with Opentracker & CSRP which is what I have and they will respond to a phone call or email. Not sure about BROSPEED.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I don't believe your current dual bowl master cylinder will be sufficient for front disk brakes. A Disk/Drum MC has two different reservoir sizes as disk caliper pistons use a larger volume of fluid than a drum brake cylinder piston. You will also need a proportioning valve to further fine tune the rear drums to keep them from locking up upon aggressive braking.
I purchased the complete kit from Chock for my 66, but I'm in the process of a mini restore and the car isn't on the road yet.

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,354 Posts
For not much more you can get a kit with a proportional valve and a two chamber master cylinder. which you're going to have to get anyway. I got my kit from Chock for my 64.5.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My MC is a two chamber (both cambers the same size), but appears you need a two chamber with different size reservoirs (this is the info I was looking for, THANKS!!), therefore, I'll have to swap it out.

I'll look to get one of the kits mentioned (CSRP, Chock, or Open Tracker).

Thanks All!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts