Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, coming to you with my most recent issue. The dash light comes on when I press on the brake. When the car is running already with headlights on you can't tell but if the car is off and the lights are off the dash lights come on. Another thing and I have no idea whether this is playing a part is that when I use my left blinker it stays solid and doesn't flash however when I use the right blinker it flashes right away. When the car warms up the left blinker will flash. can the dash light issue have anything to do with the left blinker being solid and not flashing? or is it just a weird coincidence? Off hand I feel like the dash lights coming on are due to a short somewhere where brake light power is touching the dash wiring. please tell me I'm wrong lol

·
Premium Member
8,273 Posts
Your left rear brake light bulb element is broken and touching the left tail light element, back-feeding 12 volts into your switch and making the lights on the dash glow. Change the left rear bulb and see if that fixes it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your left rear brake light bulb element is broken and touching the left tail light element, back-feeding 12 volts into your switch and making the lights on the dash glow. Change the left rear bulb and see if that fixes it.
Just got around to checking it. Both elements per bulb were intact without issue... Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
39,072 Posts
Just got around to checking it. Both elements per bulb were intact without issue... Any other thoughts?
Left rear lamp has a bad ground, a bad socket (shorted between the 2 pins) or the bulb is misaligned.

Pull the bulb and step on the brake. If the instrument lights come on then the problem is "upstream" of the socket (wires down the left side, behind the dash, etc. My guess is that the problem will go away. You can also swap the bulbs side-to-side and see if the problem "follows the bulb" or not.

·
Premium Member
8,273 Posts
Also be sure it's an 1157 bulb. Someone could have put a single element / contact bulb in there and it may touch both contacts in the socket.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts