Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1964.5 Ford Mustang
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 64.5 mustang 289 automatic D Code w/factory AC that I would like to convert from the Ford power steering assist to the Borgeson. I have replaced the entire system and replaced the eaton pump with one from CarDone, and I refurbished the remote reservoir. It works fine, but of course the control valve leaks. I know, it is a bad design and they all leak. I get it. So I am considering going the Borgeson route. I have a brand new Thompson pump that I plan to use instead of the borgeson pump. I also plan to go ahead and add a one wire alternator while I am at it. So the question is what pulleys do I need to buy that will help me accomplish this? I have factory AC, so I figured I would need a new idler pulley and I know that I have to replace the crankshaft pulley and more than likely the water pump pulley as well. But I can't find anyone that can tell me exactly what I need to purchase. I am thinking this is more than likely a 65 or 66 set up. Can someone help?

80C5FD1B-1328-4F43-BC24-5D2D69AA89E3_1_105_c.jpeg 7FC735C4-91B6-453B-929A-92E02131BB3E_1_105_c.jpeg

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Honestly there probably isn't an exact answer for you. When you mix and match, it's often a matter of trying different pulleys until you find ones that work. Measuring the backspacing like wheels can get you close sometimes. I've actually got about 4 or 5 milk crates full of various pulleys that I've cabbaged onto over the years that i dig into as call demands. You might take your measurements and visit the local salvage yard if there's one near you..

·
Registered
1964.5 Ford Mustang
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly there probably isn't an exact answer for you. When you mix and match, it's often a matter of trying different pulleys until you find ones that work. Measuring the backspacing like wheels can get you close sometimes. I've actually got about 4 or 5 milk crates full of various pulleys that I've cabbaged onto over the years that i dig into as call demands. You might take your measurements and visit the local salvage yard if there's one near you..
I am slowly getting that feeling. I hate to buy parts and then return and then buy and then return. I do have some salvage yards in the area that I can visit and see what I can find. I have even looked for pics of the 65 or 66 motors with AC and alternators just to see if I can find how many grooves the crank pulley would be. Is it two belts or three total...Just trying to get an idea.

·
Registered
1964.5 Ford Mustang
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Or I can just bite the bullet and do a serpentine conversion and go all the way with it.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I have a 64.5 mustang 289 automatic D Code w/factory AC that I would like to convert from the Ford power steering assist to the Borgeson. I have replaced the entire system and replaced the eaton pump with one from CarDone, and I refurbished the remote reservoir. It works fine, but of course the control valve leaks. I know, it is a bad design and they all leak. I get it. So I am considering going the Borgeson route. I have a brand new Thompson pump that I plan to use instead of the borgeson pump. I also plan to go ahead and add a one wire alternator while I am at it. So the question is what pulleys do I need to buy that will help me accomplish this? I have factory AC, so I figured I would need a new idler pulley and I know that I have to replace the crankshaft pulley and more than likely the water pump pulley as well. But I can't find anyone that can tell me exactly what I need to purchase. I am thinking this is more than likely a 65 or 66 set up. Can someone help?

View attachment 760641 View attachment 760642
Where did you hear, gain the knowledge of "ALL LEAK"? Is this a term you have been told over and over, because others have a 50 year old untouched, non cared for system leaked in someones Classic?
These systems are flawless when new, when assembled correctly, when done with knowledgeable hands.
If the system has seal hard as wood, assembly that is chaotic, inferiors parts, they will leak as a 2020 Mustang will leak profusely 50 years from now--Then someone will say "These damn things all leak, I want this modern, exciting new setup on the market.
Go tell a 63 to 85 Corvette owner his PS (Same thing) sucks--Better be wearing a nose protector.

·
Registered
1964.5 Ford Mustang
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where did you hear, gain the knowledge of "ALL LEAK"? Is this a term you have been told over and over, because others have a 50 year old untouched, non cared for system leaked in someones Classic?
These systems are flawless when new, when assembled correctly, when done with knowledgeable hands.
If the system has seal hard as wood, assembly that is chaotic, inferiors parts, they will leak as a 2020 Mustang will leak profusely 50 years from now--Then someone will say "These damn things all leak, I want this modern, exciting new setup on the market.
Go tell a 63 to 85 Corvette owner his PS (Same thing) sucks--Better be wearing a nose protector.
My father was a Head Ford line mechanic for years. But, please see my message I just sent to you. Would love to talk to you about this.

·
Premium Member
11,777 Posts
I have even looked for pics of the 65 or 66 motors with AC and alternators just to see if I can find how many grooves the crank pulley would be. Is it two belts or three total...Just trying to get an idea.
Alternator is 1 groove on the crank pulley and 1 groove on the water pump pulley. Adding power steering is 2 grooves on the crank and 2 grooves on the water pump. Adding A/C is 3 on the crank but still 2 on the water pump.
CVF can supply the needed pulleys.

·
Registered
1964.5 Ford Mustang
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alternator is 1 groove on the crank pulley and 1 groove on the water pump pulley. Adding power steering is 2 grooves on the crank and 2 grooves on the water pump. Adding A/C is 3 on the crank but still 2 on the water pump.
CVF can supply the needed pulleys.
Thank you, yes I have been looking at the CVF stuff. I may go that way once I pull the motor and have it gone through.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts