Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I m a little confused and hoping someone can help me understand! I have a 1964.5 mustang that has a 289 in it, but it has 4 lug bolt pattern. The Warranty number or VIN is 5F07D51319 and from what i can tell the car is originally a V8 car. so why does it have 4 lug bolt pattern?

·
Registered
34,671 Posts
Because someone has rebuilt the car from stray parts. Either the VIN has been swapped (unlikely) or the car was stripped of its V8 parts at some point and reassembled with I6 parts. The D code, BTW, is an unusual item, the 289 4V regular fuel engine.

·
Premium Member
10,302 Posts
Does the car have the complete I6 steering system- spindles, centerlink, tie rods, etc or does it have V8 steering and somebody figured out a way to put the 4 lug hubs on a 5 lug spindle?
What about the rear end- 4 lug or 5?

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Missing a digit in that VIN too. I'm guessing there's a '1' between the D and the 5. A sequential unit number of 51319 (they start at 100001) would be early in the total run. Just out of curiosity, do you have a door tag and would you be willing to post that data? There's no official data for Mustangs prior to 67, just what the hobby has collected.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
So...we have here a car with a factory 289 where it "should" have a 260 for a build date prior to August 1964 and 4 lugs....I am not sure I would immediately jump to the conclusion that someone swapped 6 cylinder components on. My personal guess is that it was a base 6 cylinder car the customer ordered with an upgrade to the 289

From Wikipedia:(take it with a grain of salt)

In 1964, an intermediate performance version of the engine was introduced with a four-barrel carburetor and 9.0:1 compression, rated at 210 hp (157 kW) at 4,400 rpm and 300 lb⋅ft (407 N⋅m) at 2,800 rpm.

The engine was an option on the 1964 1/2 Ford Mustang and was known as the "D-code" from the letter code used to identify the engine in the VIN.[2][3]

The D-code engine is relatively rare, as it was only offered as an optional engine in the latter half of the 1964 model year.

·
Vendor
3,670 Posts
Not all 64 1/2 V8 Mustangs were 260's... The D-code was a 289-4V, optional for the 64 1/2. I am not privy to what date/month that the D-code became available. But I am pretty sure that it was replaced by the A-code when production switched over in August.

Odd deal, having 4-lug stuff on it. If it's a rather rusty car, there's always the scenario of a guy having two Mustangs, one rusty V8 car, another rust-free and solid 6-banger, and the decision being made to build-up the 6-banger with a V8 and swap-out the chassis from the rusty D-code.

Pure speculation.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
So...we have here a car with a factory 289 where it "should" have a 260 for a build date prior to August 1964 and 4 lugs....I am not sure I would immediately jump to the conclusion that someone swapped 6 cylinder components on. My personal guess is that it was a base 6 cylinder car the customer ordered with an upgrade to the 289

From Wikipedia:(take it with a grain of salt)

In 1964, an intermediate performance version of the engine was introduced with a four-barrel carburetor and 9.0:1 compression, rated at 210 hp (157 kW) at 4,400 rpm and 300 lb⋅ft (407 N⋅m) at 2,800 rpm.

The engine was an option on the 1964 1/2 Ford Mustang and was known as the "D-code" from the letter code used to identify the engine in the VIN.[2][3]

The D-code engine is relatively rare, as it was only offered as an optional engine in the latter half of the 1964 model year.
Not sure how Wiki could have so much wrong, since all the info is easily available. The last line would be correct if you replace "D" with "K", as the K code was offered after May--ish. D code was available from the start of production.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Not all 64 1/2 V8 Mustangs were 260's... The D-code was a 289-4V, optional for the 64 1/2. I am not privy to what date/month that the D-code became available. But I am pretty sure that it was replaced by the A-code when production switched over in August.

Odd deal, having 4-lug stuff on it. If it's a rather rusty car, there's always the scenario of a guy having two Mustangs, one rusty V8 car, another rust-free and solid 6-banger, and the decision being made to build-up the 6-banger with a V8 and swap-out the chassis from the rusty D-code.

Pure speculation.
D codes available from the beginning. Mine is #3219, built around March 23, and it's a D code.

·
Registered
10,229 Posts
I am not sure where you got your information but you are wrong.

His VIN clearly shows it came with the D code 289-4V. The D code was available from start of production.

All V8's had 5 lug wheels even the 260's.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I m a little confused and hoping someone can help me understand! I have a 1964.5 mustang that has a 289 in it, but it has 4 lug bolt pattern. The Warranty number or VIN is 5F07D51319 and from what i can tell the car is originally a V8 car. so why does it have 4 lug bolt pattern?
That VIN isn't right. It doesn't have enough numbers after the D. Does it have a GEN light in the dash? Even if a generator was changed to an alternator, I don't know if people change that (I didn't). D codes came with 5 lugs, and changing to 4 would be a very bad idea.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
A V8 car with four lug wheels/ brakes was NOT possible on the Ford assembly line process. Does the car have the 6 cylinder 7-1/4 differential?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
How and where is the fuel line routed to the engine bay? V8 came in through the engine bay left wall, and the I6 from the aft area of the engine compartment, by the firewall.

As another asked, 4 lug all the way around?

Yeppers, lots can happen in 55 years. +1 on what 22GT stated

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
i would start by checking the vin on the title and see what the engine code there is. i would also search up the vin on the inner fender, should be right under the outer fender about the middle of the panel between the bolts, and check that vin as well.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The D was available from the beginning. Either the VIN or the drivetrain has been swapped out. Check the VIN on the passenger apron to see if it matches and check date codes on the drivetrain. Like another poster stated, you are probably missing a 1 after the D in the VIN. That would put your VIN close in production to my D code coupe that was a June 5th car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Missing a digit in that VIN too. I'm guessing there's a '1' between the D and the 5. A sequential unit number of 51319 (they start at 100001) would be early in the total run. Just out of curiosity, do you have a door tag and would you be willing to post that data? There's no official data for Mustangs prior to 67, just what the hobby has collected.
You are correct there appears to be a '1' Between the D and the 5 i missed that. the door plate on this car is not the original one. The drivers side door is from a 65 fastback and my car is defiantly not a fastback. i presume there was was damage to the door so it got replaced from a parts car?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Does the car have the complete I6 steering system- spindles, centerlink, tie rods, etc or does it have V8 steering and somebody figured out a way to put the 4 lug hubs on a 5 lug spindle?
What about the rear end- 4 lug or 5?
I will have to check the steering system, what are some of the main differenced in the steering components between the V8 and l6. rear end is also 4 lugs.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts