Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
Maybe it was a 289 4V built with the 4 lug set up by the same guy who secretly made all those "misstamped" C and A code car that actually were HiPo's or GTs in 1964, etc.

·
Registered
34,509 Posts
It would be very difficult to mix I6 and V8 steering linkage parts, as the I6 7° pins are a size smaller than the V8.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I will have to check the steering system, what are some of the main differenced in the steering components between the V8 and l6. rear end is also 4 lugs.
If the car has manual steering gauge the threads on the outer or inner tie rods that thread into the adjuster sleeve. The 4 lug type is 1/2" and the 5 lug type is 11/16", easy to distinguish.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I am not an expert, but being in the hobby for 30 years as an amateur, I never heard of a car coming from the factory as an I6 down the production line, but a V8 was installed in it at a customer request. You never know, but highly unlikely if you ask me.

What the pic will confirm, that you have the componets for the I6 steering.

I just did an I6 to V8 conversion on a 66, and am 99% complete. Let me tell you, not fun and most likley, would never do it again. Do you plan to keep it as is or make it correct?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
It appears someone already registered your VIN at the In Search of Mustangs site.
that is really cool to see, i wish there was someway to to track back who entered that information so i could get some more information about the car. from what the car is vin description is it matches everything perfectly other than the 4 lugs

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I am not an expert, but being in the hobby for 30 years as an amateur, I never heard of a car coming from the factory as an I6 down the production line, but a V8 was installed in it at a customer request. You never know, but highly unlikely if you ask me.

What the pic will confirm, that you have the componets for the I6 steering.

I just did an I6 to V8 conversion on a 66, and am 99% complete. Let me tell you, not fun and most likley, would never do it again. Do you plan to keep it as is or make it correct?
i want to have the car as close to original as possible ideally like the day it came off the production line. so if it turns out someone swapped the 5 lug out for a 4 lug. then i would like to return it to the original.

if the car was coming down the production line as a l6 and changed to the V8 as per customer request would the vin number show it as a l6?

·
Dimples
3,782 Posts
if the car was coming down the production line as a l6 and changed to the V8 as per customer request would the vin number show it as a l6?
It is reasonable to assume that never happened. The car is 55 years old, and there have been many, many opportunities for previous owners to do many, many questionable things.

For instance, my 66 was 30 years old when I got it, and the interior color, exterior color and transmission had all been changed in that time. I have since changed the interior color and transmission a third time.

If it were me, I would abandon the how/why speculation and proceed to change it back to what the fender apron indicates.

·
Premium Member
10,077 Posts
As questioned in Post #28- where are you getting the VIN- from the driver door warranty plate or from the fender apron? That door could have been swapped out years ago and the warranty plate that is attached to it does not belong to your car.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Some of these car have changed hands many times. Back in the 80s when I was in the military a guy on the base had a 66 2+2. I saw that car go through 10+ owners in four years.

·
Registered
34,361 Posts
It's a "Frankenstang". Door is off a San Jose "late" '65. I'm guessing either the car has been "clipped" or hit hard in the front and repaired.... have you checked the VIN'S on the passenger side apron?

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
let me throw this out here, its possible that the car DID come down the line originally as a six cylinder car, but a V8 was installed on the line in the car before the VIN was stamped but after the suspension was installed. things like this do in fact happen, though they are rare thankfully. remember at the time cars were selling as fast as ford could make them, nearly 600,000 the first year and over 600,000 the second year of production. so mistakes are bound to happen.

and there is precedence in later models as well. there was a fairmont here in arizona that came off the assembly line with zypher front sheet metal, and it was documented at the dealer. again so many cars flying off the assembly lines that mistakes happen.

·
Registered
34,361 Posts
let me throw this out here, its possible that the car DID come down the line originally as a six cylinder car, but a V8 was installed on the line in the car before the VIN was stamped but after the suspension was installed. things like this do in fact happen, though they are rare thankfully. remember at the time cars were selling as fast as ford could make them, nearly 600,000 the first year and over 600,000 the second year of production. so mistakes are bound to happen.

and there is precedence in later models as well. there was a fairmont here in arizona that came off the assembly line with zypher front sheet metal, and it was documented at the dealer. again so many cars flying off the assembly lines that mistakes happen.
I think the chance that a car could be be VIN'd as a V8 and leave the production line with a V8 engine and transmission, but the rest of the drivetrain, suspension and brakes being 6-banger, are damned near impossible. I would suspect you'll find SOME explanation...either the VIN has been "changed" or the suspension & axle.... for what purpose? Who knows. Accident, theft, buy 2 make 1 from the parts...

Can you imagine the liability of a car leaving the production line with 6-banger everything except engine and transmission? Hooo boy.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
woodchuck, i agree with you, however these things do happen from time to time. i am not saying this one is a case of that happening, but it does happen.

but the option of this car being rebuilt due to accident damage is also there. it may have been clipped and perhaps the door tag is right, which is why i recommended checking the title VIN and matching it up to which one is correct.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts