Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found a very nice 1964.5 Pace Car for sale locally and I am looking for any extra info. on these cars that anyone might have. I've been in contact with Steve Grant who's helped me out quite a bit.

But, I am looking for more articles, websites, to read more about these cars etc.

And is there anyway to figure out which dealership the car was sold to through the DSO but without a build sheet/invoice?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I have print-out from Jim Haskell that lists many of the winning Checkered Flag dealerships. It was generated from the photographs of the winning dealers taken with Lee Iacocca when they received their keys to the cars in Dearborn. The list was generated from reading the name tags on each person! I'll try to see if it has any DSO 74 dealers on it. Unfortunately, it doesn't list any Green Flag dealers.

I was lucky because North Carolina provided a VIN history all the way back to the 60's and it listed to original dealership. I know many states will only go back 10 years, but you'll have to check the Washington DMV to see their VIN history limits.

You can also check out mustangpaceregistry.stangnet.com and see what they have. Their '64.5 write-up is a write-up I provided for them, with some extra stuff that I haven't verified, like some dealers installing the stripes offset from the middle. I understood that all the stripes were applied at the factory, so that story wouldn't wash.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I believe you can get a list of VINS for the real Indy Pace cars here: web page

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
There is no known list of the VINs of all the PC coupes and dignitary convertibles of 1964. Contrary to many publications, the PCs were not produced sequentially. Also, the dignitary PC convertibles were not produced as Pace Cars. They were pulled from dealer lots and had the stripes and letters applied, then given to Indy 500 executives to drive in the month before the race.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts