Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have just found a 1964 vin numbered Mustang fastback, unrestored in storage since 1971. all three inner fender Vin#'s are 4F09T345086,we contacted Ford and Marti they do not have documents for a car this early. Any suggestions on documenting this car?Has anyone ever seen a 64 vin numbered Mustang.There are photos of fastbacks completed in Dec. of 63 in engineering department but to our knowledge none exist. Is this a test/engineering/fitment car?This is my first time to post on this forum, I can be reached @ [email protected] Thanks for your time

Update:
Here is the ling to our site for pictures and more info.
http://www.collinsbrosjeep.com/images/classic cars/64FBmustang/64fastback.htm

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car is missing the driver's door and driver's fender, therefore no data plate for door at this time, is there another place on the car for date code? This car needs total restoration, it has not been apart or restored, the numbers on inner fenders are real, they have not been tampered with.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes we will post them on monday, IT man is on vacation.The car is here and if anyone wants to inspect the vin#'s and are in the Dallas Texas area they are welcome to look at the car.The address of the car is 3101 W FM 544 Wylie Texas 75098.9-6 M-F and 9-3 on Sat.Out of town the 14th. and 15th.Please email for appt.to see the car.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I have a feeling that it's most likely a mis-stamp. The sequential number is way to high to be a pre-production test or engineering car. The early 64 cars (64.5 to some) still started with a "5".

I think that car would have a scheduled build date between Nov 4-6, 1964. I have VINs 5F09C344438 with a date of 06L and 5F07T345404 with a 04L date.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I have NEVER heard of a Mustang with a 4 VIN.All were built as 65's regardless of what people think. There were no 64&1/2's, they were officially referred to as "Early 65's"

·
Registered
289 Posts
It should have a generator as opposed to an alternator. IIRC the idiot light on the guage panel will say "gen". There is an extra "flange" on the hoods on the earliest Mustangs near the headlight area too. If these items are not there it would seem to be a mis-stamp.

I came upon a '64.5 with 260 V8 in a barn many years ago and have seen these early features before. I have not known of one with a "4" year in the VIN. I think the concours experts on this forum will know if that has been encountered before and have other items to check to validate the timeframe it was built.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
erbssr said:
I have NEVER heard of a Mustang with a 4 VIN.All were built as 65's regardless of what people think. There were no 64&1/2's, they were officially referred to as "Early 65's"

I've learned over the years...never say never! :content:

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
CBJeep said:
Yes we will post them on monday, IT man is on vacation.The car is here and if anyone wants to inspect the vin#'s and are in the Dallas Texas area they are welcome to look at the car.The address of the car is 3101 W FM 544 Wylie Texas 75098.9-6 M-F and 9-3 on Sat.Out of town the 14th. and 15th.Please email for appt.to see the car.
Don't display the location of this mystery Mustang on the Internet and announce when you will be out of town.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'm not so sure they would apply a vin number to an engineering "mockup" or prototype, because they would never intend to have that vehicle registered and on the road?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Don't display the location of this mystery Mustang on the Internet and announce when you will be out of town.

I believe it is at a place of business, so he probably has an alarm system or security of some sort.

My guess is it was a mis-stamp by a tired assembly line worker on a Monday morning.

·
Administrator
19,476 Posts
I questioned Jim Smart about it and he agrees it's most likely a misstamp.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
There is an extra "flange" on the hoods on the earliest Mustangs near the headlight area too.
The flange hood was not used in production Mustangs until late April, 1964. The first six weeks of Mustang production used a hood that did not have this flange, which causes confusion with the '65 hood. However, the 1st-generation hood has structural differences from the flanged 2nd-generation hood and the '65 3rd-generation hood.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up Steve! I did not know that and certainly appreciate the correction.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
65-66 have date codes stamped in dozens of places on interior sheet metal, including the under hood and under trunk panels.

·
Registered
8,998 Posts
"Sniff.." I smell "bogus"...... ;)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts