Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a fair bit of reading on conversions and what parts are needed to install different years/configurations. However, I didn't really find anything to help me regarding the 64 spindles.

I have a very nice complete set of fully loaded disc brake spindles from a 1964 Rancharo with a V-8. I would like to put them on my 67 Mustang with a the V-8 that is currently non-power drum. Looking to go to power disc brakes. I've already collected a combination valve, pedal set and booster. Would really like to save some money and use the 64 Rancharo set up, but...

Will they work? What is needed? Is it worth the effort?

If I should go a different way, what are they worth if I were to resell?

TIA

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
67 spindles are the same for 6 and 8 cyl- just buy the adpters, dual piston calipers ect and save the falcon ones for 64-66 stan. Wes

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Your setup depending on condition of caliopers and rotors are going for 400 useables asi is or less if needs redoing. Wes

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your setup depending on condition of caliopers and rotors are going for 400 useables asi is or less if needs redoing. Wes
Thanks Wes. The Rancharo was originally a California car so everything is in excellent condition. The rotors and pads are newer too. I would say a little cleaning and some paint if one desires and they are ready to bolt on.

·
Premium Member
10,036 Posts
What is a Rancharo- a Mexican Ranchero?

The "geometry" of the spindles changed between 1966 and 1967 model years. Although the '64 Falcon/Ranchero spindles may fit on a '67 Mustang, the geometry would not be correct.

·
Registered
8,602 Posts
What is a Rancharo- a Mexican Ranchero?

The "geometry" of the spindles changed between 1966 and 1967 model years. Although the '64 Falcon/Ranchero spindles WILL fit on a '67 Mustang, the STEERING geometry would not be correct.
Fixed that for you.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I pulled the set out to take a closer look. I believe I have a Granada set up that someone updated when the set up was on the Rancharo. Rough measurement on rotor looks bot be 11"-ish. When I pull them apart, I'll get a better measurement on it.

If this is the case, I think is all I will need are Granada outer tie rod ends and Granada front hoses. Anyone confirm?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,602 Posts
At least your steering geometry will be ok. Those do look Granada. You'll need front hoses that fit the calipers and you
may or may not need to do something about the wheels (center hole on that rotor is the issue).
Don't recall the situation on the outer tie rods...... we didn't use Granada spindles on anything with a Mustang nameplate.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wouldn't necessarily be going this route but I had these given to me. I'm good with the conversion but would like to find out where I can get the bracket to adapt SN95 2 piston calipers to the Granada spindles.

I've read about them but haven't been able to find a part number or source.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Mustang Steve has an outline of everything you need to know about a Granada swap; Granada Disc Brake Conversion for Classic Mustangs. Your car may also need the outer tie rods changed or an adapter; MustangSteve's Tie Rod Adapters

Granada rotors are thinner than SN95 rotors. Caliper pistons can come all the way out under certain circumstances with an undersize rotor. There used to be a bracket to mount PBR calipers to the Granada spindle. It was a bad idea and is long discontinued.

·
Registered
34,418 Posts
I'm not surprised they turned out to be Granada spindles, because disc brakes were not available on the 64 Ranchero. Disc brakes were not even available on the 64 Corvette.

Free or not, I'd pass on the Granada assemblies. By the time you replace the seals, bearings, calipers, pads, buy a proportioning valve, and have the rotor surfaces cut, you're well on your way to the cost of and OEM-style kit, a little over $600 plus shipping. One thing people overlook in cost as well is the 65-67 OEM disc was a K/H type, which bolts to the same spindle as the drum brake. Not only does this save time, it means you won't have to pay $100+ for a wheel alignment when you are done with the job.

One other problem with the Granada brake- The hubs are huge, and will not allow the use of most stock wheels of the 60's. If you already have aftermarket wheels, you'd be fine, but if you have stock 67 wheels, you'd need to replace them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mustang Steve has an outline of everything you need to know about a Granada swap; Granada Disc Brake Conversion for Classic Mustangs. Your car may also need the outer tie rods changed or an adapter; MustangSteve's Tie Rod Adapters

Granada rotors are thinner than SN95 rotors. Caliper pistons can come all the way out under certain circumstances with an undersize rotor. There used to be a bracket to mount PBR calipers to the Granada spindle. It was a bad idea and is long discontinued.
@whtx - I was under the impression that I would have improved braking but after reading this, seems that isn't the case. Good to know. Thanks for the info Cougar70

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm not surprised they turned out to be Granada spindles, because disc brakes were not available on the 64 Ranchero. Disc brakes were not even available on the 64 Corvette.

Free or not, I'd pass on the Granada assemblies. By the time you replace the seals, bearings, calipers, pads, buy a proportioning valve, and have the rotor surfaces cut, you're well on your way to the cost of and OEM-style kit, a little over $600 plus shipping. One thing people overlook in cost as well is the 65-67 OEM disc was a K/H type, which bolts to the same spindle as the drum brake. Not only does this save time, it means you won't have to pay $100+ for a wheel alignment when you are done with the job.

One other problem with the Granada brake- The hubs are huge, and will not allow the use of most stock wheels of the 60's. If you already have aftermarket wheels, you'd be fine, but if you have stock 67 wheels, you'd need to replace them.
I've looked into a variety of kits and once you add shipping that ranges anywhere from $85-$130, the price starts climbing. I already have a combo valve and booster from a 60's Mustang so there's money saved there. If I blast and rebuild my calipers, cut the rotors and replace bearings/seals, I think I can keep it +/- $100.

I will also be running aftermarket 17" wheels on it so clearance isn't an issue. I have new control arms, springs and shocks so will need to be aligned anyway. I plan on doing the Shelby mod on the upper control arm mount and adding roller perches. I may even add adjustable strut rods.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Granada brakes are just fine. I run them on my 66 and do not notice any impacts from the different geometry of the spindles, something that is a non-issue on a 67.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I wouldn't necessarily be going this route but I had these given to me. I'm good with the conversion but would like to find out where I can get the bracket to adapt SN95 2 piston calipers to the Granada spindles.

I've read about them but haven't been able to find a part number or source.
CSRP makes a 1 piece bracket that will mount a 99-04 Mustang type PBR caliper to a Granada spindle. We do not offer it without our compatible 1" thick rotor set (for the reason stated in post #13).

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I've looked into a variety of kits and once you add shipping that ranges anywhere from $85-$130, the price starts climbing. I already have a combo valve and booster from a 60's Mustang so there's money saved there. If I blast and rebuild my calipers, cut the rotors and replace bearings/seals, I think I can keep it +/- $100.

I will also be running aftermarket 17" wheels on it so clearance isn't an issue. I have new control arms, springs and shocks so will need to be aligned anyway. I plan on doing the Shelby mod on the upper control arm mount and adding roller perches. I may even add adjustable strut rods.
CSRP shipping cost are nowhere near that high. A complete KH style brake kit that would mount to your car's existing spindles cost $619.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
CSRP makes a 1 piece bracket that will mount a 99-04 Mustang type PBR caliper to a Granada spindle. We do not offer it without our compatible 1" thick rotor set (for the reason stated in post #13).
I've been to the site but cannot find the P/N for the brackets. While I'm at it, do you carry the spacers to convert the rear drum brakes to a Crown Victoria disc brake set up?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts