Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1965 2+2 torsion bar bushing kit

563 Views 27 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Flade
Anyone know where I can get a torsion bar hardware kit? I don't need the spring bracket. I'm looking for the bushing, washers and push-on retainer. I'm going to call AMK in the morning to see if they have a kit. I didn't see one listed in their catalogue, and a search online only show the spring bracket.

Wood Creative arts Audio equipment Art Electric blue
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
37,626 Posts
Hmmm… The only thing I've seen on untouched 65-66 cars is that short rubber tube and bracket, and the push-on retainer at the tip.

· Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is where I think it goes...on the passenger side hinge.

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle

This little booger looks like it would fit perfectly in that hole.

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Finger Automotive tire

The one I have is worn out. On one side the bushing is worn completely through, and one of the ears is almost broken off.

Grey Wood Beige Jewellery Art

· Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just checked the Kim Osbourne Body Assembly manual for the 1965 Mustang, and it looks like it came with a bushing from the factory. This car was pretty much unmolested when I bought it, but that was almost 30 years ago, in 1993. So it was almost 30 years old when I bought it, so who really knows what a PO might have done, and it did have 1 respray on it when I got it.

I wish they had digital cameras back when I disassembled the car. All I have to go on is my crappy memory, a few books and the wondeful internet!

Font Parallel Schematic Diagram Paper

· Registered
1,172 Posts
MIne has the same bushing and it looks just like yours. I have not been able to find a new one though I have not put too much effort into the search. kip

Reactions: stephanorf

· Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MIne has the same bushing and it looks just like yours. I have not been able to find a new one though I have not put too much effort into the search. kip
It almost looks like the door lock knob grommet. If AMK doesn't have one, I'm wondering if someplace like Grainger would have something similar.

Reactions: TB350

· Registered
180 Posts
I have looked for that little plastic bushing since 1984 with no results. It is found on the 65 only as far as I have seen, and it wears out and falls off quickly. Have only seen one in my life that was in good shape and it was on a quarter million dollar dollar GT350R. I have always had hope that someone would reproduce that item but thus far that has not happened. If you are successful in locating one I hope that you will share the source.

· Registered
45,071 Posts
I have looked for that little plastic bushing since 1984 with no results. It is found on the 65 only as far as I have seen, and it wears out and falls off quickly. Have only seen one in my life that was in good shape and it was on a quarter million dollar dollar GT350R. I have always had hope that someone would reproduce that item but thus far that has not happened. If you are successful in locating one I hope that you will share the source.
Bronze... of course they're kind of hard to get around corners. Have you checked the plastic bushing bins at your local Ace Hardware?

· Registered
180 Posts
No,Bart, I have not checked at ACE hardware. Until reading this post I have never seen the entire bushing out of the hinge. Really had no clue as to what the little bushing looked like or how it was retained. It must have been very thin where it passes through the hinge and so it broke easily or wore into quickly. Maybe someone will post the dimensions and perhaps one can be turned from a tough plastic or other material that will stand the test of time. Close up images and measurements would certainly aid in the search for a replacement. Can someone post a drawing of this part with the measurements?

· Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)

· Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No,Bart, I have not checked at ACE hardware. Until reading this post I have never seen the entire bushing out of the hinge. Really had no clue as to what the little bushing looked like or how it was retained. It must have been very thin where it passes through the hinge and so it broke easily or wore into quickly. Maybe someone will post the dimensions and perhaps one can be turned from a tough plastic or other material that will stand the test of time. Close up images and measurements would certainly aid in the search for a replacement. Can someone post a drawing of this part with the measurements?
I don't have measurement or a drawing, but here are some pics of the one that came off of my car. I put some coins in the pic for scale if it helps anyone. This one is a little worn and needs to be replaced, but it is original and you can still tell what it is supposed to look like (one of the snaps is rubbed through and causes it to stick out, and it's a little wallered out, so the ID isn't round anymore).

Coin Nickel Gas Money Money handling

Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Grey Gas

Coin Nickel Currency Gas Money

Grey Nickel Currency Coin Money

Hat Headgear Asphalt Automotive wheel system Automotive tire

Automotive tire Grey Asphalt Gas Road surface

1 - 20 of 28 Posts