Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone thanks for your help

well i was wondering if anyone has the right engine color for the 289 1965 i am haveing engine rebuilt and befor they start i wanted to tell them to paint what??????????? thanks again jon

·
Registered
137 Posts
I also have a 1965 289 4bbl. The date stamped on the motor is Sept. 22, 1964. It does have the gold valve covers. However, the engine block, manifold, water pump, etc are Ford blue. From what I was told this was the original untouched motor. I cannot find any evidence of black paint under the blue. Does anyone know the cutoff time when Ford changed from black to blue. Could some of the 65's have the blue motors?

·
Registered
942 Posts
Jon,

Your 289 should look like this

Disregard the blue alternator fan and pulley. Unless you've got a June or July Dearborn car, your alternator fan and pulley should be semi-gloss black.
Not sure what you are saying here...are you indicating that JUST June and JULY ('65) (DEARBORN)got the Blue fans and pulleys? never heard that before....

I purchased (as suggested by a high ranking MCA judge) a "correct" alternator for my July 27th (Dearborn)'65 K Code from Dead Nuts On and the pulley and fan are Black......

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Not sure what you are saying here...are you indicating that JUST June and JULY ('65) (DEARBORN)got the Blue fans and pulleys? never heard that before....
Here is what I'm saying here. The blue alternator fan and pulley are correct for some late 65 (May - June 65) Dearborn cars. Check your MCA rule book with regard to that. My T22 Dearborn convertible had the original alternator, which had a blue fan and pulley. That's why I replicated it that way. I know there have been a few San Jose built cars with the same blue fan and pulley, but from what I have seen and read, they represent a very small window of production.

I purchased (as suggested by a high ranking MCA judge) a "correct" alternator for my July 27th (Dearborn)'65 K Code from Dead Nuts On and the pulley and fan are Black......
And??? I never stated that black was incorrect. I stated that my blue fan and pulley were correct for MY car, and the MCA rule book backs that up.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I also have a 1965 289 4bbl. The date stamped on the motor is Sept. 22, 1964. It does have the gold valve covers. However, the engine block, manifold, water pump, etc are Ford blue. From what I was told this was the original untouched motor. I cannot find any evidence of black paint under the blue. Does anyone know the cutoff time when Ford changed from black to blue. Could some of the 65's have the blue motors?
In late 1965, spooling up for the 66 Model year, Ford changed ALL engines to the Corporate Blue color in a concerted effort to capture BRAND IDENTITY and have Ford and Blue seered onto everyone's mind.

To my knowledge, there is not one single documented example of an engine leaving a Ford assembly line with the block painted blue and not blue all over.

"Original untouched motor" means different things to different folks. To me, that means nothing MECHANICAL has ever been done. Someone painting the block blue would not fall in that category.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Paint

I am trying to repaint the block on my 65 289. What paint did you use to paint yours? It looks great! I used kyron 1316 the first time, but its not available, so not what. Would have to be a rattle can...

·
Registered
5 Posts
You were told wrong. All 64.5 and 65 260 and 289 long blocks were painted black. I wouldn't expect to see any blue blocks prior to August 1965.

beautiful work with your motor. I have seen this image and post and been inspired by it for years. The time has come to make it happen. What color black did you go with on the block.

A true "Gloss" black or a semi gloss? what brand if you happen to recall?

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I used Duplicolor Semi-Gloss engine black. The valve covers and air cleaner are Duplicolor "Universal Gold" engine paint, which is very close to the original Ford color.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Also , did you utilize a primer when you completed the paint work on either the block or your various components including the firewall ?

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
"Your 289 should look like this.."

+1

Ivy is right...

Go by his engine pictures. They are as accurate as you will ever get.

Most, (The majority) of '65 Alternator fans are black (Except Hi-Po's). A few batches of Blue Alternator fans snuck out of Dearborn in '65 and some in San Jose? (Didn't know that one)...but that was a very small amount when compared to overall production.

I use Dupli-color Rattlecan on all of my engine block parts, Water Pumps and Valve covers. Original engines were not primed, but I have found that if you use the Dupli-color Primer as well that the paint lasts longer...but that's just my take. You can do whatever you want.. I order my Dupli-color Primer from AutoKrafters Online where you can buy the paint as well, but I pick up my paint as my local Bennett Auto Supply chain here down South where its a bit cheaper, but not much...I just save on shipping pretty much. They never seem to carry the Primer though which really irks me..!! LOL..

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
"Did any late 1965 Mustangs leave the factory with blue engines?"

None that I am aware of... and I have been doing this a long time now....

There are always exceptions to the rule....but I have yet to see one, or an article on one..

I don't think that it was a "running change" kind of thing either..

It would appear that as '65 Production just stopped, A memo went out...and on the 1st day of 1966 Production, Everything went to Blue in the engine department in all the plants.. Ford knew well in advance of 1966 Production that all their engines would be changed to blue....and that's pretty much how it appeared to happen.

:eek:)

Tony K.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well here is one for this thread. This car was bought by my late dad new in 1965 from Olsen Motors in Victoria, BC Canada. The original bill of sale is with the car. The car has been kept original...he was fussy about that. The car has 69,000 original miles on it, has been garage kept (same one) its entire life. The 289 has had a new water pump, thermostat, the carb cleaned/rebuilt, valve stem seals and a frost plug replaced. That is it other then tune up parts. I learned to drive in this car and used to wash, wax, vacuum and change the oil/grease it before I was old enough to rive it. It was the same then as it is now. The block is silver, the valve covers, reddy/orange and the only piece that is correct is the air cleaner....gold with a black snorkel. .Professional appraisers have said they have heard of a few of these but this was the first they had seen. We have never had anyone with first hand knowledge explain how this happened.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts