Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1965-70 Mustang Fuel Filler Necks modified to ELIMINATE Splash-Out

35K views 69 replies 32 participants last post by  def_68 
#1 ·
Are you tired of dealing with the possibility of splash-out when filling your classic Mustang with fuel ?? I was certainly fed up with gas pump drama with my 1969 and searched the internet for solutions a few times over the years and basically found nothing.

In the fear of splash-out onto my bumper, license plate, and the painted surfaces around & below the filler neck I would squat down with my ear near the pump nozzle and listen to the fuel going in. Listening carefully, you can hear the sound change as the tank gets full and the goal was to release the lever in time to avoid splash-out. This was always a nerve-wracking routine, especially if there were other noises (traffic, etc.) to distract concentration so I dreaded the experience at each fill up. I've owned this car for 38 years and this problem has been a part of fueling since the late 80's when leaded gas disappeared. The leaded nozzles were designed to shut-off in an open filler neck, so my guess is they were more sensitive than unleaded nozzles. However a defective leaded nozzle could cause splash out too, so it was still a crap shoot even prior to unleaded gas becoming the only option.

Anyway, I finally found someone who installed an off-the-shelf "unleaded fuel insert" that was a viable solution (credit goes out to forum member Mach1 Driver). His method however required major neck modification ... including cutting ... which was not appealing to me. So I ordered a couple of the same inserts to play with hoping to come up with an easier solution. After some brainstorming, I ended up adapting the insert to fit up the neck with minimal modification to the neck itself ... far simpler.

I've now had it in my car for over a year and it is by far the most functional mod I've ever done. Like a modern car I can now just put the nozzle in, set the nozzle flow on the 1st or middle notch, let go, stand back, and wait for the nozzle to shut-off on it's own like it is supposed to do ... with ZERO SPLASH-OUT.

To be able to finally fuel up my classic Mustang without any drama and "hands-free" is pure satisfaction.

I then realized there are 9 different 1965 thru 1970 Mustang Fuel Filler Neck variations available, so I bought a sample of each and figured out how to adapt the insert to each one. There are both painted/powder coated and zinc plated necks and both styles are available for all years but 1970 ... which so far I've only found painted/powder-coated versions.

I sell both complete new necks with the insert installed as well as insert kits with instructions for your own installation. If you want to do your own install I strongly recommend using a new neck, and I show all the necks that I know work on page 2 of my Price Sheet (page 2 of Tool List has even more details).

See attached PDF files for all the details including pricing and contact info.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I'll vouch!!!!!!!!!! I personally bought one of these from Stangs-R-Me a while back. Finally got my car on the road and went to fill up.
Pump in, Squeeze and lock, Clicked when full. No splash, no stink, Great product!

#4 ·
I don't MAKE the actual necks, so some parts vendor/mfr. would have to see the need for such a neck and make it so I could buy it and modify it.

The likely reason it is NOT made is the industry has mostly latched onto the 1970 22 Gallon tank as the ideal Mustang gas tank and YES there are necks for this 22 gal tank in a '65-66, '67-68, and '69.

Doug

#6 ·
That is great to know, really appreciate hearing this as I can now share this info with potential buyers. Guessing you needed a bit extra hose length too, but they cut the repros a bit longer so maybe there is a long enough one that can be used or cut to fit. I had to cut about 1-3/8" off of the new hose I installed in my '69 to match the original's length.

Did you possibly take a picture when installing to show how it fit / lined up or could you take a side view picture as installed now ??

Thanks,

Doug

#9 ·
I have updated my Price List and it now states the '65-66 Conversion Neck can be used on '65-66 with 20 Gallon Tank and 5" long hose.

Thanks again goes out to "ididntdoit" for figuring this out !!

Doug

Attachments

#10 ·
I've recently been informed of a gas cap clocking issue with the '65-66 Scott Drake Zinc Plated neck. The issue being the gas cap will not turn far enough for the artwork to be level.

Interestingly, I was also informed that the Painted version of this neck (made by a different mfr.) available from various suppliers does not have this issue. I had originally bought 1 of these painted necks from Summit as it was a cheaper than the Zinc Plated one. Not liking the looks of the blistered paint around the stake marks (even after touching up), I felt the added cost of the Zinc Plated one was worth it so it was "1 & done" for the painted version.

After discovering the issue, I started stocking the painted version again and even found a supplier selling the Goodmark version for less than Summit. Well this vendor must have had them on "clearance", as they no longer list it.

Having 4 of the Scott Drake Zinc Plated ones in my inventory, I figured I needed to do something so I bought a Scott Drake 1965 Mustang gas cap to confirm that there was no clocking issue if the proper gas cap was used ... WRONG ... even the Scott Drake cap on the Scott Drake neck has the problem !!

So, I put a cut-off wheel on my Dremel and cut back the stops and eliminated the CLOCKING ISSUE. Took maybe 10 minutes.

All my '65-66 Scott Drake necks are now fixed and this mod will be done to all of them from here on out.
See attached pdf for instructions and pictures.

Doug

Attachments

Reactions: Huntingky
#11 ·
As it is Spring, figured I should bring this thread up as I am still doing these and have all variations in stock and ready to ship.

Thanks,

Doug

Reactions: burnout289 and artc
#12 ·
I just installed one of Doug’s filler tubes and I will vouch that it works GREAT! Thank you, Doug!!

Are you tired of dealing with the possibility of splash-out when filling your classic Mustang with fuel ?? I was certainly fed up with gas pump drama with my 1969 and searched the internet for solutions a few times over the years and basically found nothing.

In the fear of splash-out onto my bumper, license plate, and the painted surfaces around & below the filler neck I would squat down with my ear near the pump nozzle and listen to the fuel going in. Listening carefully, you can hear the sound change as the tank gets full and the goal was to release the lever in time to avoid splash-out. This was always a nerve-wracking routine, especially if there were other noises (traffic, etc.) to distract concentration so I dreaded the experience at each fill up. I've owned this car for 38 years and this problem has been a part of fueling since the late 80's when leaded gas disappeared. The leaded nozzles were designed to shut-off in an open filler neck, so my guess is they were more sensitive than unleaded nozzles. However a defective leaded nozzle could cause splash out too, so it was still a crap shoot even prior to unleaded gas becoming the only option.

Anyway, I finally found someone who installed an off-the-shelf "unleaded fuel insert" that was a viable solution (credit goes out to forum member Mach1 Driver). His method however required major neck modification ... including cutting ... which was not appealing to me. So I ordered a couple of the same inserts to play with hoping to come up with an easier solution. After some brainstorming, I ended up adapting the insert to fit up the neck with minimal modification to the neck itself ... far simpler.

I've now had it in my car for over a year and it is by far the most functional mod I've ever done. Like a modern car I can now just put the nozzle in, set the nozzle flow on the 1st or middle notch, let go, stand back, and wait for the nozzle to shut-off on it's own like it is supposed to do ... with ZERO SPLASH-OUT.

To be able to finally fuel up my classic Mustang without any drama and "hands-free" is pure satisfaction.

I then realized there are 9 different 1965 thru 1970 Mustang Fuel Filler Neck variations available, so I bought a sample of each and figured out how to adapt the insert to each one. There are both painted/powder coated and zinc plated necks and both styles are available for all years but 1970 ... which so far I've only found painted/powder-coated versions.

I sell both complete new necks with the insert installed as well as insert kits with instructions for your own installation. If you want to do your own install I strongly recommend using a new neck, and I show all the necks that I know work on page 2 of my Price Sheet (page 2 of Tool List has even more details).

#18 ·
Just curious, is the '69 neck completely different than the '67/'68 that it won't fit or can't be used with the '69 tank in a '67/'68? hard to tell from the pics on your PDF. And thank you for documenting all the pics, etc. there.

#19 ·
I went through this with another '67-68 owner a while back and he had pics of how the stock '67-68 neck sat in relationship to the '22 Gallon tank.

I took side-by-side pics of the various necks compared to the stock '67-68 and he thought that none of them had the right bend to do what was needed. So he just cut his stock neck and made it work. He was going to buy an insert from me to put in his modded neck, but that has not happened yet. So I just tried finding the text string in my phone with the pics from this guy but could not find it ... sorry.

If you want a neck that fits, try contacting the custom Mustang EFI tank makers to see if any of them make one. As I said, someone mentioned in a different thread a while back that they bought a 20 gallon tank & custom neck to fit their '67-68 from one of the custom tank vendors. At the time, I remember going on that vendor's web site to find this custom neck, but had no luck finding it so must be custom made / quote to order.

Doug

#20 ·
As it is Fall, figured I should bring this thread up as I am still doing these and have all variations in stock ready to ship.

Thanks,

Doug

#23 ·
I have been fighting this since 1986 with my 68 fastback. Been turning the nozzle sideways and dripping gas into the tank until my hands cramp. Is the install as easy as it seems? Does the mod use a stock fuel tank hose on my 68?

#29 ·
Ordered a '67 neck from Doug a few weeks ago, and gotta say, great product! Originally was going to go the DIY route, but was lazy and just had him send a ready to go unit. Took bout 5 minutes to pull the old one out and get the new one in, too easy! On first fill up I didn't know where the sweet spot was, so I still dribbled a little, but not much at all compared to before this upgrade. On my second fill, got the right angle, pumped at mid level flow, and bam! pump shut off with not a drop spilled! LOVE IT!

Kinda funny story, but when I drove past the gas station before my last fill up there was a guy there filling his 66 FB, so I swung in and chatted to him for a bit, then ran to the post office, and headed back home. Decided to stop and get gas while I was out and pulled into the same station same pump that the 66 had been at about 15 minutes prior, and there was a huge puddle on the ground... Wonder who that was from...LOL!!

I highly recommend letting @stangs-R-me hook ya up!

Thanks again Doug!

#30 ·
Also got one of these just a couple weeks ago for my 69 fastback. Works perfectly. Only minor issue I had was I had to round out the hole slightly to get it to fit. Only posting this as a warning to anyone that may encounter the same issue cuz I pulled out the deemed and started grinding. Realized after about 10 seconds that I was spraying little sparks around an open fuel tank. Dumb move on my part that could’ve been a disaster.

#31 ·
Doug,

I have a 68 that I'm Coyote swapping. So I'm installing a new tank for the EFI. I was just going to purchase your prebuilt setup, but now I want to verify if I have the 20 or 22 gallon tank. I bought it 6 months ago with a bunch of other parts and frankly, I can't remember. :) I'll email you as soon as I get my crud together and I'm sure what need.

Out with the old. Put it up on Facebook for free if anyone is trying to keep theirs original.
Wood Gas Rectangle Road surface Concrete

Dropped the new one in to check fitment. Going to clean, prime, paint the body, run the sealer and then install permanently.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

Hopefully the next picture will be all installed with your kit. :cool:

Cheers.

Rich

#32 ·
Thanks for your post Rich ... sorry it took me so long to reply, but I don't check this thread too often. I am following it, so surprised I did not get an email notification. i just sent you a PM.

To everyone ...

I've currently got all variations in stock ready to ship. Send me an email to ... stangs.r.me@gmail.com ... with what year Mustang(s) you have, and I'll reply with all the details.

Thanks,

Doug

#33 ·

I am interested in purchasing an unleaded filler neck. I can’t seem to get the pdf to open. I’m brand new to this forum. Maybe not doing something right. I have a 67 fastback. How do I go about ordering?

#34 ·
Email the guy and tell him what you have.
I had the pdf, gave confusing requests, he replied and we got it all clarified and ordered.
I think we did paypal.

Note on my experience, I ordered a premade one, good quality, better than I could have put the kit in.
It is not a 100% fix but it is a great improvement. I have to hold the filler nozzle just right, but when I do it works.
I suspect we still need to add a vent of some kind, am exploring how to do that.
Seems I remember 80's fords used a plastic hose that clipped to the filler neck,
I suspect where our rubber hose goes around the tank fitting may cause splashback or something.

#35 ·
I did send GU347 a PM (to avoid cluttering the thread), but have not heard back from him yet.

Thanks,

Doug ... stangs.r.me@gmail.com

#37 ·
Great news for all of you '67-68 owners that want to run the shorter 20 GALLON 1969 tank instead of the taller 22-Gallon 1970 tank.

I now have confirmation and PICTURES showing that the '67-68 22-Gal Conversion Neck fits without modification with the 20 Gallon tank when using the Daniel Carpenter 4-3/4" long hose & clamps # C8ZA-9047 & C5ZZ-9040 (9047-3A & 9047-1AK from NPD). This particular hose is super pliable and has a fiber braid inside it. Hose could maybe be shortened an inch or so, but it was installed uncut/full length in the pics.

Pictures ...

Motor vehicle Gas Engineering Machine Font
Hood Green Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper
Microphone Font Poster Material property Electric blue
Wood Floor Publication Flooring Gas

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.