Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve recently started having a low voltage reading at night while at idle with the lights on. I have an electric fan, retro sound stereo and the Dakota digital dash. If I turn the heater on with the fan going, lights on, stopped at idle my volt reading drops to 10.9 and starts blinking. Jumps right back up while driving. I installed new battery, new belts, and a new stock alternator from autozone. Also put in a new solid state voltage regulator. Question is, would getting a higher amp alternator like a 100 amp boost up the volts at idle? Or running a smaller pulley on the alternator? If so do you guys know where I can get a higher amp 3 wire alternator or smaller V pulley for the alternator.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Since you are already using Dakota Digital, I would upgrade to a 150amp one-wire internally regulated alternator. Simple to install, and you get rid of the external regulator and wiring. I just did this upgrade and it works like a champ. I also run Dakota Digital dash, electric fan, fuel injection and a small stereo. At idle, I am between 13.8- 14.0 volts.

Tim

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
It's probably not your alternator, but your Voltage Regulator making you experience "Voltage drops". If you are still going with an OEM Points type unit...That's why. You need a "Solid State" Motorcraft unit...like below...

https://www.npdlink.com/product/voltage-regulator-alternator-electronic-replacement-from-the-oe/100810?backurl=search/products?search_terms=voltage%2Bregulator&top_parent=200001&year=

or this one..

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/motorcraft,GR540B,voltage+regulator,4884

They are the way to go.... Try one first before you start swapping out alternators..

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
34,155 Posts
I would switch to a more modern Ford 3G alternator, small case at 130 amps should fit the bill. Would stick with a "3 wire" (output, exciter, ground) which makes for an easy hook up while still retaining your original alternator warning lamp, if used.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Another vote for 1 wire here. I went that route and never looked back. The most important part is to size the charge wire correctly. I found a 6awg "lawnmower power wire" at the parts store. It has eyes on both ends.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I would switch to a more modern Ford 3G alternator, small case at 130 amps should fit the bill. Would stick with a "3 wire" (output, exciter, ground) which makes for an easy hook up while still retaining your original alternator warning lamp, if used.
Gotta agree with Woodchuck .... mostly.
One thing a 3g does well, is sensing voltage needs at idle. it does this best when the sense wire is run to the solenoid, instead of looping to the output. I saw a .5 volt difference.
So I guess a 4 wire hookup. I needed a ground also, probably cos I ceramic coated the case and brackets.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts