Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im replacing all the wiring in my 1964.5 (289, warning lights, no air). I'm converting it from generator to alternator and replacing all the wiring with 1965 stock wiring. (The original wiring was very chopped and spliced). I've solved most of the bugs, but have a question about the brake switch wiring. there are 2 studs under the master cylinder - what plugs into these? i don't see and open terminals on the engine gauge feed, or anything coming from the firewall that appears to go there? I see in the NPD catalog there is a different brake switch for 1965 so i'm assuming i need to get one of those and that will plug into the underdash harness?? then is it ok to leave the old switch in place with nothing plugged into it?

thanks in advance!
Greg

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Brake switch is simply an on off switch. You can run the original wires to it from the '65 switch, or you can just leave it disconnected and wire in a '65 switch.

Eric

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
What are these "2 studs under the master cylinder"? Do you have a photo?
The brake light switch on a '64.5 is a hydraulic pressure switch that screws into the master cylinder and closes when pressure is applied to the brake fluid.
The brake light switch on a '65 is a spring loaded electrical switch that mounts on the stud on the brake pedal that the master cylinder pushrod attaches to.
The wiring is the same for both switches- a "hot" wire and a wire that goes to the turn signal switch.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What are these "2 studs under the master cylinder"? Do you have a photo?
The brake light switch on a '64.5 is a hydraulic pressure switch that screws into the master cylinder and closes when pressure is applied to the brake fluid.
The brake light switch on a '65 is a spring loaded electrical switch that mounts on the stud on the brake pedal that the master cylinder pushrod attaches to.
The wiring is the same for both switches- a "hot" wire and a wire that goes to the turn signal switch.
Here is what i'm talking about. i'm pretty sure its the 64.5 switch Worth mentioned in his response. So if i'm understanding correctly, i can use the wiring from the 65 harness, i just might need to splice in a different connector to make this switch work?

Thanks again for the help guys!!
Greg

·
Registered
37,647 Posts
You're probably going to end up having to "pull" the 2 brake light wires out through the firewall to the "early" switch. There is probably room in the firewall plug to butyl glue a couple bullet connectors to do that, and making a couple short wires to the switch.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Bart,
So just to be clear the 64.5 switch will work with the 65 wire harness, I just need to make it reach through the firewall and add new connectors?

Right?
Greg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts