Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1965 C-code fastback that has some options on it to make me think it might be a GT car but not sure. It has front disc brakes, it has the round gauges not the idiot lights, and the two piece metal trim that goes at the rear of the headliner that meets the rear glass is chrome. Is the glove box different also? Any help would be appreciated. I believe these parts were not added to the car. Thanks, Mark

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Yep - Midlife's right. No C-code GTs in 1965.

The 5-dial instrument cluster is either part of the Deluxe Interior option (in which case it would be woodgrain) or it was indeed added by a previous owner.

Never heard of that interior trim piece being chrome. It's certainly not part of the GT criteria, but it's hard to imagine someone going to all the trouble to chrome it. Would you be referring to the exterior window trim perhaps?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dash is woodgrain but the seats aren't deluxe and appear original. Is the glove box different. There is a silver/chrome ring around the perimeter of the glove box door.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
As an owner of a T code GT, it's possible Ford screwed up the VIN so you'll have to look for everything to see if it's a possibility. If you remove your rear seat bottom, do you see the rear seat pan reinforcement spot welded in with the dual exhaust hanger bolt heads?

Does your fastback have evidence it once had rocker mouldings? Look for a tell tail hole inside the wheel well just in front of the rear wheel. GTs deleted the rocker moulding.

Dean T

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
The Mustang was designed to designed by you (and whole bunch of previous owners). These cars have been cross-bred, restored, modded, in and out of scrapyards and what not so many times that the questions like "could this be original shelby, because it has shelby valve covers" (my question about 13 years ago) always amuse the people in-the-know. So, don't worry about originality, just enjoy the car.

How many 65 Mustangs were updated from honeycomb grille to 66 grille already in 1966 to keep up with Joneses?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts