Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Team, I have a crack in my convertible frame (see pictures).Has anyone seen this before? Also, do you know if I can replace just that one piece or will I have to purchase an entire new frame? Not sure how common this is. Thanks!!

-Jack

·
Registered
777 Posts
It definitely looks like it needs to be replaced or repaired as the stress crack will only worsen over time. I believe it is called the vertical top frame member. You can find OEM convertible parts being sold on Ebay from time to time and you certainly don't need to replace your entire top frame if everything else is mint. Once disassembled, a skilled welder could possibly repair it. That particular part is the same from 65 through 68. Once you do repair, it would probably be a good time to recondition the frame, inspect hinge pins, lubricate bushings, maybe media blast, paint, and install a new top canvas.

1. 742049

·
Registered
1 Posts
I support having it welded by a pro, or replacement. There's good and bad frames out there is you search thoroughly and you won't ahve to spend a lot of money.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all!! I’m going to search eBay for part first. If no luck then I’ll look for a welder. Currently I don’t have anyone I trust.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It definitely looks like it needs to be replaced or repaired as the stress crack will only worsen over time. I believe it is called the vertical top frame member. You can find OEM convertible parts being sold on Ebay from time to time and you certainly don't need to replace your entire top frame if everything else is mint. Once disassembled, a skilled welder could possibly repair it. That particular part is the same from 65 through 68. Once you do repair, it would probably be a good time to recondition the frame, inspect hinge pins, lubricate bushings, maybe media blast, paint, and install a new top canvas.

1. View attachment 742049
Is that a refurbished frame? I wouldn’t know where to begin doing something like that.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Yeah, its an OEM frame from a 66. This is what it originally looked like. Dissassembly, take lots of photos, organization, clean bushings, media blast, clean, primer, paint, and reassembly. It's tedious, but not that too difficult. Media blasting is the way to go. I think the OEM convertible top frame is way better than a reproduction, but maybe they have improved since I last looked one a couple of years ago.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts