Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed a new windshield washer kit (2-speed washer pump, hoses, nozzles w/ rubber tips and a pump harness) that I purchases from AAPD.NET. The pump sounds like its working, but the fluid isn't pumping through the system. I even took it to my mechanic and he couldn't figure out the problem. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
6,321 Posts
Maybe it has a bad internal seal and it's sucking air or nothing at all. If it is an NOS or original it may have dry-rotted on a shelf. Perhaps priming the circuit first may help.

·
Registered
862 Posts
The 2 speed washer pump is a piston type pump. The 2 speed wiper motor has a set of contacts that make and break the path to ground. The make and break action is what causes the pump to pump. Constant voltage to the pump energizes the piston for one stroke then holds with no back and forth pumping action. A test light or multimeter between the two connectors should tell you if you are getting the make and break action.

·
Registered
9,042 Posts
"The 2 speed washer pump is a piston type pump" - There is no such thing. Only Early and Later pumps. Both pumps were used for both 1 and 2 speed motors. I assume that you are referring to the later pump here.

Tony K.

·
Registered
862 Posts
"The 2 speed washer pump is a piston type pump" - There is no such thing. Only Early and Later pumps. Both pumps were used for both 1 and 2 speed motors. I assume that you are referring to the later pump here.

Tony K.
Call it a solenoid pump if you want, I've seen it called both. I'm not sure what information you're trying to convey. There was a 2 speed wiper option and used a different washer pump than a 1 speed and the two are not interchangeable as designed. Not sure how you can designate an option early or late .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts