Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting my 65 coupe ready for a repaint. It is originally Rangoon Red, with interior code 25. Found the current paint code for exterior. From what I can find, interior code 25 is Dark Red with Red. Interior parts I can find (upholstery, carpet, dashpad, etc.) are showing either red or dark red. I've looked at a lot of photos, and it looks like a wide range of red across the board. I'm prepared to deal with different reds in the bolt on pieces and upholstery, but I would appreciate any help on 1) what a code 25 interior should really look like and 2) what paint color do I use for the dash and interior trim pieces that get paint?

Thanks!

·
Dimples
3,782 Posts
For 65, the interior color should just be red. No dark red. That's 66 stuff.

For interior paint, just buy the rattle cans from NPD. Great match and great quality from those.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
I wish I could find my decades old pictures of my 65 during it's heyday and look at the shades or red. I had Rangoon Red on outside and all red interior. I remember there being a slight shade difference but the enthusiasm of youth didn't let it bother me too much. I think the same shade of red was used for Rangoon Red and Poppy both and it matched neither.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For 65, the interior color should just be red. No dark red. That's 66 stuff.

For interior paint, just buy the rattle cans from NPD. Great match and great quality from those.

BlakeTX, Thanks. Does the paint match the exterior red? If not, do door interiors get painted with exterior color?

·
Vendor
3,636 Posts
No, there is never any direct relationship between exterior colors and interior colors. As you are ordering interior components, just make sure they are listed as fitting 1965 red specifically, and it'll all be good, because everything we are selling is in "correct for year" colors.

Our AP-6022R 1965 red lacquer (for metal surfaces) and VP-6022R 1965 red SEM (for plastic/vinyl/flexible surfaces, but also works great on metal) is a dead-on match for the factory interior red.

Rick
NPD

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, there is never any direct relationship between exterior colors and interior colors. As you are ordering interior components, just make sure they are listed as fitting 1965 red specifically, and it'll all be good, because everything we are selling is in "correct for year" colors.

Our AP-6022R 1965 red lacquer (for metal surfaces) and VP-6022R 1965 red SEM (for plastic/vinyl/flexible surfaces, but also works great on metal) is a dead-on match for the factory interior red.

Rick
NPD
Thanks Rick. Just to be clear, these are the same colors, so I could use AP-6022R on the metal parts and VP-6022R on the non-metal parts? They will match up

1 - 9 of 9 Posts