Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been three days trying to allign my door.I recenty replaced the 1/4 on the drivers side and also a new fender.When I allign the body lines from the front fender to the new 1/4 the door is about an inch above the rocker.The 1/4 is fitting good.How can I get the lines correct and still not have such a gap above the rocker ? Anyhelp ::

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
The door should be aligned with the quarter panel. If you line up the top of the door and the crease of the door with corresponding points on the quarter post, you should have the correct 1/4 inch gap at the rocker. Once the door is aligned, then the fender is aligned to the door.

When aligning the fender, you will loosen everything. What can be overlooked are three bolts - the bolt at the base of the fender, about 12 inches or so forward of the door, the bolt accessed through the face of the fender when the door is open, and the bolt which is accessed through the kick panel. Sometimes folks forget to loosen the bolts which bolt into the radiator support and also try to align a fender with the front stone guard installed. Won't happen as the front spacing cannot be adjusted. You should be able to lower the top of the fender to match both the door and the cowl.

When aligning a door, I find it easiest to duct tape paint stir sticks along the length of the rocker/sill and also up the edge of the quarter post. I can rest the door on the painter sticks and bump it backwards against the paint sticks. This gives an even 1/4 inch margin at these locations. You loosen the hinge bolts at the door post area of the body to adjust the door up and down and front to back. You loosen the hinge bolts on the door to tip the door in and out at the top and bottom.

good luck. It really helps to have a second person on this job. I find it a royal PIA. Oh, I do not install the sill plate until after the door is aligned as aligning the door tends to scratch the bejabbers out of the sill plate.

·
Registered
580 Posts
The aftermarket quarters are not stamped correctly. If you installed the quarter with the door on the car and aligned, you would have noticed the misalignment. I had to cut my quarters between the c shape and the bottom where it meets the rocker.

Lstar

1 - 3 of 3 Posts