Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have a copy of the Ford installation instructions/diagram for the under dash evaporator? Does such a thing even exist?
There are 2 holes along the bottom of the dash in my parts car (trial fitting) but they are not spaced the same distance as the mounting brackets on my evaporator (19.5"). And if I used either one of them and drilled a hole for the other the evaporator would not be centered.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The evaporator is not centered. My 65 had an original factory evaporator with holes drilled. The first hole is centered approximately between the ignition and lighter and the other is approximately the 19.5” that you said. Hope this helps. I understand if it was centered on the dash it interferes with the gas peddle.

·
Premium Member
11,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The evaporator is not centered. My 65 had an original factory evaporator with holes drilled. The first hole is centered approximately between the ignition and lighter and the other is approximately the 19.5” that you said. Hope this helps. I understand if it was centered on the dash it interferes with the gas peddle.

OK, I'll measure 19.5" to the left from the hole under the right side of the dash and see where that locates the evaporator.

·
Premium Member
11,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went out to my parts car and found that if I moved the evaporator to the right the left mounting bracket matched up with a hole in the lower dash that is located between the ignition switch and the lighter. You can see the nut on the mounting bracket bolt in Photo 1. This puts the left edge of the evaporator in line with the lighter and there is no interference between the driver's right foot and the evaporator or the hoses. I will need to drill a hole for the right mounting bracket.
Does this look correct for off center mounting?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,963 Posts
Some pics...

:eek:)

Tony K.

Attachments

·
Registered
968 Posts
Looks to me that the 2 center registers are centered with the radio, or sort of..

Josep

·
Registered
968 Posts
I went out to my parts car and found that if I moved the evaporator to the right the left mounting bracket matched up with a hole in the lower dash that is located between the ignition switch and the lighter. You can see the nut on the mounting bracket bolt in Photo 1. This puts the left edge of the evaporator in line with the lighter and there is no interference between the driver's right foot and the evaporator or the hoses. I will need to drill a hole for the right mounting bracket.
Does this look correct for off center mounting?
Vato,
I have checked the car and there are holes too, guess for those evaporator brackets. See attached pics. Both my cars have holes in both sides and I would say the parts car have too. I don’t think you need to drill a hole there as there are already holes.
Photo 1 is the left one, centered between ignition/lighter
Photo 2 is the right side

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, the left side factory hole is correct. We may or may not have to drill a right side hole. Tony's lower photo is a '65 so that matches what we have. The distance between the 2 holes should be about 19.5 inches.

·
Registered
968 Posts
OK, the left side factory hole is correct. We may or may not have to drill a right side hole. Tony's lower photo is a '65 so that matches what we have. The distance between the 2 holes should be about 19.5 inches.
I have measured the distance between both holes, and it’s about 17”.
If you look closely to the second photo, on the right of the hole (pass) you will see a bolt head. From this bolt to the left hole (drivers) the distance is something like 19”. I don’t know what that bolt holds...

Josep

·
Registered
209 Posts
I am about to go down this road in a 64.
So the second register is in the middle of the floor hump?
Has anyone centred the evaporator so it looks symmetrical and got away with it?

·
Registered
8,963 Posts
"Has anyone centred the evaporator so it looks symmetrical and got away with it?"

It would literally be a real "Knee Knocker" if you did that.

If you look on the bottom right of the unit, There is a factory Plastic "Leg" piece that helps support and align the unit with the Floor hump and the Dash.

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
509 Posts
First, I'm assuming that you have the "Factory correct" brackets (see attached picture and Illustrations) ?

If that is confirmed, then, remembering that they are only illustrations, look at the two that I have attached. The first is from the 1960-68 Ford Master Parts Catalog. Note that it covers several Models, so it is not "Mustang Specific". The second illustration is from the 1966 Mustang Electrical Assembly Manual, which is "Mustang specific", although not for 1965. Possibly someone with a 1965 Electrical Assembly Manual (Tony ?) could Post it just to see if there are any differences.

The previous Post has a very detailed set of instructions, however, at a glance through it, appears to include a lot of non-original parts, which may or may not apply in your case.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts