Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace the idler arm on my 1965 fastback. 289 4v, manual steering, front drum brakes. I know that there is a quick steer kit from Branda that supplies a different Pitman arm. Question: do I also need a different idler arm or is it o.k. to use the standard replacement?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
You can use a stock replcaement idler arm. The quick shelby quick steer isnt really worth it unless your car sees alot of track time, or high speed driving.

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Yeahhhh...BUT, with manual steering, those few extra turns can really make a big difference! I'd sasy go for it!

·
Registered
10,607 Posts
You can use a stock replcaement idler arm. The quick shelby quick steer isnt really worth it unless your car sees alot of track time, or high speed driving.
I sure have to disagree with you. The Shelby kit increases the ratio by enough to make it worth while. It drops the number of turns lock to lock from 4 to about 3.6.

The Shelby quick steer kit comes with both a pitman arm and an idler arm.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have to also say that I have been very happy with the Shelby Quick Steer Kit. I had that put on the same time as the Shelby Drop was done. Car handles great and looks great too. I am very glad that I did it.

Matt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts