Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Flowmaster Super 44's on my mustang in an H pipe format. Would it be possible to decat the exhaust? I'm also wanting to put drop springs on it because I want to minimize body roll as much as I can.

Thank you guys for your responses,

Zander Olson

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
Decat?? I assume you are referring to catalytic converters, right? are you actually required to have them where you are? Around here if they didn't come factory with them, you don't need them...

·
Registered
706 Posts
Do a little more research before posting! 65's didn't come with catalytic converters. Do you mean take the guts out of you 44's?!
6sally6

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Maybe it is a new catterized engine. Depending how new it is, the ecm will throw a fit if you knock the guts out of your catterizers. I think I have seen ad's for "high flow" cats which I think would be the way to do that if you are trying to increase exhaust flow.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Maybe it is a new catterized engine. Depending how new it is, the ecm will throw a fit if you knock the guts out of your catterizers. I think I have seen ad's for "high flow" cats which I think would be the way to do that if you are trying to increase exhaust flow.
Question was in regards to a 1965 Mustang.

·
Registered
6,431 Posts
Unless you have a new engine in an old Mustang, there are no cats to "decat". The only thing you could do is remove the mufflers entirely, or I guess remove the exhaust entirely... if you're trying to make it louder or something. Not sure what the goal is.

If you want to minimize body roll, you want stiffer springs.

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
I think he's got a carb on it........
He's got a video on an earlier post. It's plenty loud as it is.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Drop springs won't really reduce body roll unless they're a stiffer than stock spring, and even then it's not a big difference. If you want to really reduce body roll a thicker than stock sway bar will help the most.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In regards to my last post. The exhaust is aftermarket and it came with catalytic converters on it. I want to cut them off to make the car louder and of course to let the excess fuel burn to be able to pop flames a little.

The car has an eddolbrock four barrel on it.

·
Registered
20,340 Posts
In regards to my last post. The exhaust is aftermarket and it came with catalytic converters on it. I want to cut them off to make the car louder and of course to let the excess fuel burn to be able to pop flames a little.

The car has an eddolbrock four barrel on it.

No offense but I never ever heard of any aftermarket vintage exhaust system coming with cats. If it did have cats, more then likely there would be 02 bungs. Are you sure they weren't bullets? Oh, it's Edelbrock.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ah, I feel like a complete idiot. I'm pretty new to cars when it comes to parts and I was mixing up the catalytic converters with something else. I appreciate the responses I got cooperating with my stupidity! Thanks!

·
Administrator
19,788 Posts
Perhaps your exhaust system has "resonators" on it? They like something like catalytic converters and something like mini-mufflers. Typically something like this-

People use them to combat excessive exhaust noise so yes, removing them in favor of straight pipe will make your car louder. Most folks just use pipes and mufflers and don't go to the trouble of adding resonators. Many many a car came from the factory with one or more resonators though.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Ok. I am at the point that I need photos of this exhaust system to see what it really is.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts