Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I went to get my car painted and they removed the panels and what not and did a beautiful job but now I noticed that my light indicator isn't blinking or my front turn signal aren't blinking either. The brake lights work and the rear turn signals work fine.

I am a pretty big newby but I do have a car manual I can take a look at. If someone can point me in the right direction as to how to diagnose that would be great.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,077 Posts
The front turn signals are on the far left side of this diagram. I'd be looking for a connector that didn't get plugged together.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The front turn signals are on the far left side of this diagram. I'd be looking for a connector that didn't get plugged together.
This may be a dumb question but how do translate this diagram to the actual car? Do I open the hood and follow some wire?

·
Registered
34,489 Posts
Don't worry about the diagram, get under the car, look at the wires coming out of the parking light. They should go into the headlight bucket. There's a plug behind the headlight bulb that should be connected.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't worry about the diagram, get under the car, look at the wires coming out of the parking light. They should go into the headlight bucket. There's a plug behind the headlight bulb that should be connected.
So I got under it and saw this:

I’m assuming I need to reconnect this but I’m not sure how it was connected in the first place. Any guidance?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Was the lights working before paint? To me, it looks like the paint shop cut the wires.
I'd expect them to fix it.
Or, just replace the lights with new, to get rid off the wiring mods that other people have done.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Was the lights working before paint? To me, it looks like the paint shop cut the wires.
I'd expect them to fix it.
Or, just replace the lights with new, to get rid off the wiring mods that other people have done.
Yes, it was working fine. I suppose they had to cut these to remove the bumper. Even if I buy new lights wouldn't I still have to fix the current wiring? Sorry for the dumb questions, I am still learning.

·
Premium Member
10,077 Posts
For an immediate repair just strip the insulation back on the wires that have been cut and use butt connectors to re-join the wires. The blue things in the smaller photo are butt connectors. As previously suggested I'd go back to the paint shop and suggest to them that they repair the wires they cut.

For a permanent repair you need to see if the connectors that are shown in the wiring diagram that I previously posted are still intact on the wiring harness or has the entire harness been butchered by a PO. If only the lights have been previously cut you can buy new lights with the pigtail and plug them into the main harness.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For an immediate repair just strip the insulation back on the wires that have been cut and use butt connectors to re-join the wires. The blue things in the smaller photo are butt connectors. As previously suggested I'd go back to the paint shop and suggest to them that they repair the wires they cut.

For a permanent repair you need to see if the connectors that are shown in the wiring diagram that I previously posted are still intact on the wiring harness or has the entire harness been butchered by a PO. If only the lights have been previously cut you can buy new lights with the pigtail and plug them into the main harness.
Hey awhtx, I did exactly as you said. Stripped the insulation, bought new butt connectors, crimped them up and everything is back to normal. I will definitely look into the permanent repair option however when I was following the cable to check for the connectors it went up to the side of the car where I couldn't take a look even with the hood open. Do I need remove a panel to check this out?

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
The way the wires look in the photo with the butt connectors, looks like the jerks at the paint shop just ripped the valance off that side when it just didn't come out nice and easy for them, and then cut the other side. In the long run, probably did you a favor so you can fix it the right way, but stuff like that is why I try to do my own work and not rely on someone who thinks every problem can be fixed with brute force and a hammer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey guys not sure if I should make a new thread for this but I also noticed my passenger door not longer locks either. It’ll stay locked from if I’m inside and forcing the door lock down but once I let go it can be opened without a problem. What’s a possible fix for this?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts