Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me what are the correct screws to attach the front dash radio speaker? Also, where can I acquire the 2 rubber pieces that go on the reverse side of the speaker grille on the dash of a '65 Mustang.

I have searched Jim Osborn's books with no luck.

·
Registered
9,015 Posts
The two screws were all round pan head Phillips head sheetmetal screws, no taper. You can buy near identical one in most autoparts stores under the Dorman/Motormite name. They even make them in stainless steel if you wish. They were most likely zinc or cad plated. It's hard to tell from my originals. They measure a 1/2" long exactly on the shank.

As for the 2 rubber bumper pieces on the back side of the speaker grille. It's possible that they were only used in early production cars, I've never seen them on any of the cars that I've stripped in the last 25 years. They were possibly phased out of production by 1966...
or maybe even mid'65 if they were even there at all. Not everthing in the Assembly manuals was used in actual production on the assembly lines, and even if it was used, some were used only temporarily.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
The rubber bumpers are available at NPD (item #06010-2K). They're not identical to the originals, but no one will see them anyway.

I've never seen a 65-66 speaker grille without them.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for information. My June '65 built Metuchen car did have the rubber bumpers in the grille but not salvageable. The speaker had already been removed when I purchased the car, therefore the info. provided was helpful.

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
9,015 Posts
Just the opposite..

"I've never seen a 65-66 speaker grille with them."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts