Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've replace the entire trunk area in my 1965 Mustang Coup and there is no hole on the passenger side dropoff for the fuel sending unit wire gasket/plug. I'm now replacing the entire wire harness and I'm wondering what was Ford's reason for running the wire all the way across the trunk floor unprotected and then halfway back to the sending unit? This is a 6 cylinder with a single muffler in the stock position. I don't see how the muffler would cause a problem coming from the driver's side instead of the passenger side.

Why not just put the hole in the driver's side so there's less wire in the trunk?

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Good question, I thought it seemed a silly arrangement when I was rebuilding the trunk as well.

·
Registered
270 Posts
The wire has to be an exact length to be accurate due the amount of resistance. Just kidding. I wondered the same thing and routed it from the driver's side.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The wire has to be an exact length to be accurate due the amount of resistance. Just kidding. I wondered the same thing and routed it from the driver's side.
No.....I call it the brother-in-law theory!

Someone’s brother-in-law supplied the harness and was paid by the foot for wire. 😂😂😂

·
Registered
142 Posts
FYI, I kept same route since I converted to fuel injection.
My impact sensor is mounted on center brace of tail panel, then takes factory fuel gauge route to fuel pump and sensor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts