Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran the VIN on my car it’s a true GT car but trying to find out why no stripes or GT badge or MUSTANG letters. Did you have the option to delete these on your order when new?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
What makes you think it's a true GT by the vin? What are the first 5 digits?

Pull the back seat bottom and see if it has the reinforcement on the floor pan for the exhaust system

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
794 Posts
This hip guy goes to a dealership with a pocketful of crisp $100 bills, tells the salesman, "I'm going to make your day. Order me a Mustang convertible. I want a really groovy one. Give me the works, GT package, styled steel wheels, pony interior. But I don't want the badge or stripes. Here's an extra 5 bills to take it off once it arrives. Give me a call when to pick it up." Yeah, it COULD have happened, but not very likely. It'd be a real pain in the rear to fill holes and repaint.

You don't mention if you have "standard" badging. Do you have original paint?

It's far more likely that, over the last 50 years, the fender was replaced or some previous owner didn't respect the GT details. I think it is even more likely that it isn't a GT since you can't get that from a VIN. No Martis for '65s.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
  • GT trumpet exhaust
  • Disc brakes
  • GT fog light bar
  • fog light wiring holes
  • 13/16 diameter front sway bar
  • 289 V8 with four barrel carburetor
  • A (or K) code in Vin# at 5th digit
  • large master cylinder with clip on top (for disc brakes)
  • quick ratio steering box (with HCC AW tag code for power steering or HCC AX tag code for manual steering)

• GT exhaust hanger bolt mount with reinforcement plate under rear seat
  • Fog light switch
  • disc brake pedal pad
  • GT gauge cluster (*for 1965) (*could also be pony interior option without GT in 1965)

• Dual exhaust
  • GT dual exhaust hanger bracket mounts on rear floor pan
  • GT dual exhaust hanger reinforcements in rear frame rails (*same as trunk clue)
  • brake line mount location left of exhaust bracket

* GT dual exhaust “U shaped” reinforcements in rear frame rails (this one is our favorite ways to quickly find out if a Mustang is a real GT because it’s easily accessible and also happens to be one of the hardest to fake)

·
Registered
36,500 Posts
This hip guy goes to a dealership with a pocketful of crisp $100 bills, tells the salesman, "I'm going to make your day. Order me a Mustang convertible. I want a really groovy one. Give me the works, GT package, styled steel wheels, pony interior. But I don't want the badge or stripes. Here's an extra 5 bills to take it off once it arrives. Give me a call when to pick it up." Yeah, it COULD have happened, but not very likely. It'd be a real pain in the rear to fill holes and repaint.
Absolutely all of that performance stuff could be optioned on a non-GT 65-66 Mustang, there would have been no need to remove anything.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Pull the back seat bottom and see if it has the reinforcement on the floor pan for the exhaust system

It has all that

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
Sure, delete was an option so I assume it has no 289 or quarter emblems. A sleeper unless seen from front or rear:)

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
  • GT trumpet exhaust
  • Disc brakes
  • GT fog light bar
  • fog light wiring holes
  • 13/16 diameter front sway bar
  • 289 V8 with four barrel carburetor
  • A (or K) code in Vin# at 5th digit
  • large master cylinder with clip on top (for disc brakes)
  • quick ratio steering box (with HCC AW tag code for power steering or HCC AX tag code for manual steering)

• GT exhaust hanger bolt mount with reinforcement plate under rear seat
  • Fog light switch
  • disc brake pedal pad
  • GT gauge cluster (*for 1965) (*could also be pony interior option without GT in 1965)

• Dual exhaust
  • GT dual exhaust hanger bracket mounts on rear floor pan
  • GT dual exhaust hanger reinforcements in rear frame rails (*same as trunk clue)
  • brake line mount location left of exhaust bracket
* GT dual exhaust “U shaped” reinforcements in rear frame rails (this one is our favorite ways to quickly find out if a Mustang is a real GT because it’s easily accessible and also happens to be one of the hardest to fake)
If you car fits all of the requirements, it could have certainly been repainted and the badging not replaced? If you have a New Jersey (Metuchen built factory car) there should be a buck tag that says "PI0" for the GT package (Performance Image Option.) I have also heard that there are buck tags with "PI" out there for the GT package.

·
Registered
794 Posts
  • GT trumpet exhaust
...and also happens to be one of the hardest to fake)
Yeah, by your description, it certainly seems like an original GT.

In response to your original question about whether it was possible to delete the badging and stripes, I've never heard of that. Money talks though, so even if it was produced at the factory with the adornments, it is still possible for the dealer to remove it.

I've made some "before I take it home I need you to"-adjustments on cars over the years.

It's a GT from the front and from the back, but not the side? Hardly seems "sleeper" to me. Maybe just drowsy.

Another possibility is that the original owner worked at the dealership and could pull some strings.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
1 MORE ITEM THAT'S UNIQUE TO A 65 GT- IF YOU TURN ON THE FOG LIGHTS, THE INSTRUMENT AND TAILLIGHTS COME ON. EVERY 66 HAD THIS HARNESS BUT ONLY GT'S IN 65 HAD THIS FEATURE. IT CAN BE FAKED, BUT IT'S NOT SOMETHING MOST FAKE GT'S WILL HAVE.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1 MORE ITEM THAT'S UNIQUE TO A 65 GT- IF YOU TURN ON THE FOG LIGHTS, THE INSTRUMENT AND TAILLIGHTS COME ON. EVERY 66 HAD THIS HARNESS BUT ONLY GT'S IN 65 HAD THIS FEATURE. IT CAN BE FAKED, BUT IT'S NOT SOMETHING MOST FAKE GT'S WILL HAVE.
Hey Pony Doc The tail lights and instrument lights do come on.

·
Registered
36,500 Posts
Hey Pony Doc The tail lights and instrument lights do come on.
Well, this was actually a feature of any factory-fog-lamp-equipped 65-66 Mustang GT. And of course, the reproduction fog lamp wiring harness, available in reproduction for decades, also does this. I'm sure Alloy Metal has sold many thousands of them.

Non GT Mustangs were not available with the factory style fog lamps. They could get these:

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
1 of 1 LOL, so your question is if the GT car could have been ordered without the badges and stripes......what do you mean by you "ran the vin" ? I gather from all the posts that you either have a 65 or 66. Very very very few people would be able to accurately answer your question. My best guess is no way dude....Remove the back fender splash shield and see if there is evidence the holes were filled in to start. look for date stamps on the fenders if you think they are original...cross check any date stamps with when your car was built. get back to us! So many new posters just never follow up on things. hope your not one of them. You joined in 2013? wow! Also add your location to your avatar.If your near Annapolis MD, swing by and we'll pull the shields together! oops, missed you have a 65 GT!!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Sounds like a factory GT. However, confirm the date of build (to verify GT package) I believe March was the earliest date. If it does not have the deluxe package, then pull the dash instrument panel as the indention for the cluster is hard to replicate in a non GT, non-deluxe interior car. The 65 Falcon instrument did not require modifiying the sheet metal for the instrument cluster.
Ron

1 - 15 of 15 Posts