Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought I'd try here, didn't see a post specific to this. I've got a '65 GT FB that's pretty well optioned. Keeping it as original as possible. Over the past year I've worked to resolve some PS issues and have replaced the hoses and PS pump, serviced the rack etc. The problem I'm having is when the car warms up, the system whines. It's topped off correctly, using ATF DEX/MERC fluid.The pump is not a rebuild, I did that and sent it back and got a new FOMOCO factory style to ensure no problems.

Here's the question, does the fluid make a difference? Could it be thinning out to much when it warms up? I think my next step is to get it up to temperature and check the temp of the fluid to just see where it's getting. Shouldn't be anymore that 160 - 180 so I'll confirm.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
I was told that Type F was heavier and I assume would help whine. I heard of shade tree guys use the Type F in GMs if they thought the pump was going out.:eek:

·
Registered
969 Posts
I just got a new "old" pump from Dan at Chockstang. I am running a borgeson box that needs more pressure and the old Ford pumps don't make enough. he told me to use Type F PS fluid and add 3/4 of a pint of Lucas ATF conditioner. Worked like a charm. No squeals or whines

·
Registered
256 Posts
I just got a new "old" pump from Dan at Chockstang. I am running a borgeson box that needs more pressure and the old Ford pumps don't make enough. he told me to use Type F PS fluid and add 3/4 of a pint of Lucas ATF conditioner. Worked like a charm. No squeals or whines
+1
Worked for me, took a while (~100km) to quiet down.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35,475 Posts
If you've got the original PS Pump, you have a whine when it gets hot, and you've been using Dexron/Mercon..... flush the system with ATF Type F, pull the pump and rebuilt it, and reinstall with the proper fluid.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Folks make the mistake of buying the higher priced, "Best" PS fluid thinking it is better. That is the worst thing that can be done to the Ford/Trw pumps.
Then, "All PS Fluid are the same-right?" No If one does not use a good grade of Type F Automatic transmission fluid it will kill a Ford/Trw pump.

·
Registered
35,460 Posts
A complete flush and fill of the PS system, using Type F, is about the only chance the OP has of getting the system to work properly.

I wonder, there are now new OEM-type pumps available, do they also require Type F?

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
A complete flush and fill of the PS system, using Type F, is about the only chance the OP has of getting the system to work properly.

I wonder, there are now new OEM-type pumps available, do they also require Type F?
Some of the new China pumps are Vein pumps. These will use the new style fluids as the GM pumps. Which ones that do is a guess at best.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all. Sounds like it's time for a flush and refill with Type F with some Lucas PS conditioner. Will let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you've got the original PS Pump, you have a whine when it gets hot, and you've been using Dexron/Mercon..... flush the system with ATF Type F, pull the pump and rebuilt it, and reinstall with the proper fluid.
Brand new pump, just installed. I think it's the fluid. Gonna flush and fill with F, just ordered two quarts of MotorCraft ATF - F. Will post the results in the next few days.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts