Vintage Mustang Forums banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1965 Ford Mustang Fastback 2+2
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
reading up on some VMF posts...I think I should be alright with those above... 15x7 front and 15x8.5 rear

Doing the shelby drop.
Will have new Eaton coils (reg...not lowered) and springs.
Will have new konis or bilsteins...still making up my mind.

Tire size im leaning towards 225/60 in the front with 245/60 in the rear....

·
Registered
1965 Ford Mustang Fastback 2+2
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
What year is your car?

got a sorta rebuild thread here

·
Registered
1965 Coupe C-Code
1,122 Posts
Speaking of wheel center caps this guy makes a variety of aluminum center caps for TT wheels.

He also does complete custom jobs.

He’s working on some tribar caps (not the flat caps) with painted logos.

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
5,050 Posts
245/60-15s work on 15x7 with 4.25” bs on the rear, fenders have to be rolled flat, suspension needs to be stiff and you need to cross your fingers a lot. But it sure does look good….

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Eh, not going to mess with that then. Probably should just get 7s all around and keep with the slightly fatter tire
7" and 8.5" have the same backspacing (3.75"), which gives a nice "deep dish/wide track" look, but while the 7" (barely) fit, the 8.5" wheels are simply 1.5" too wide. All depending on the tires too, obviously.

I believe they now also make them in 8" wide, with a 4.5 backspacing. They would probably fit with respect to the fender lips, but may cause problems with the upper control arms if used on the front.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
or....? Maybe these look closer
I may be repeating but the "original" wheels were TRUE magnesium and magnesium oxidizes quickly even when polished. They turn very dark grey when they oxidize. The color is almost like dark grey primer. For the record ALL of the R Models ( not just the prototypes) used the magnesium 15x7 wheel AND they were available in the Catalogs as well . The current American Racing TT"D" offering is close and many vintage racers use them instead of the ultra pricey originals. Aluminum is a FAR safer material for wheels.

View attachment 818274

·
Registered
416 Posts
Most racing rules require that caps , trim rings and anything else that could fall off be removed from the wheel before tech inspection.
You need 4.25 backspacing to clear stock fenders and quarters with a 15 x 7.
As far as I can tell AR does not make that size unless you special order them at a premium price.
most 15 x7 wheels come 4.25 except AR.

ken

·
Registered
852 Posts
Here‘s where I got my center caps. Very happy.

Speaking of wheel center caps this guy makes a variety of aluminum center caps for TT wheels.

He also does complete custom jobs.

He’s working on some tribar caps (not the flat caps) with painted logos.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts