Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’ve found a basic Mustang from 1965, she seems to be in very good order from pics but before I go I need your help regarding How basic is a basic Mustang?
The 200 paired with a 3 speed manual is enough to enjoy the ride? Drums all around will stop the car on time? Do you really need a V8 to have the real deal?

BTW they are asking 20.000€ for the car

I’m not an speed maniac nor an sporty driver unless I drive a real sport car! I’ve had some old Mercedes W123 and Volvo 240 and enjoy driving them leisureously, Can the same be done with a Mustang? Or do you need more power?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
The 65 in question should be fine with the I6, 3 spd manual and drum brakes. Granted, it won't be a tire smoker but a good economical driver. The drum brakes may have to be adjusted once in a while but they've safely stopped these cars for 50+ years. They were designed and built for 60 mph roadways so, if you drive it accordingly, you'll have a great classic. If the car is well restored, the price tag seems to be in the correct range (as long as there isn't any hidden body/frame cancer/rust). Get some photos if you can and that'll help everyone here give you some things to check out.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Travis pretty much covered it. And while the 200 isn’t gonna blow the doors off, they can still be a lot of fun, especially paired with a manual trans. Also, they’re SO easy to work on. I can’t say enough great things about the old I6’s, the only reason I swapped to my V8 is I wanted power that the 200 just couldn’t provide.

·
Premium Member
13,170 Posts
Contact "Josep". He has a '66 with a 200 6 cylinder and a C4 automatic. 20,000 euros sounds high to me but he knows the market in Spain.

·
Registered
153 Posts
My first Mustang was a '65 2+2 with the 200 I6 and Dagenham 4 speed. It was fun to drive and very reliable. And, you can do the Arning drop and various other suspension upgrades to improve handling. But, definitely not the machine to use for stoplight racing...

For safety reasons, I would upgrade to a dual bowl master cylinder and some "premium" brake shoes. Porterfield and EBC are mentioned often here. Search the forums for these names to get more details.

Upgrading to disk brakes has been debated many times here with no clear "winner".

Harry Z

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
I have a I-6 auto in my 65 fastback, it is peppy enough to drive around to the local car shows,
you could drive it and see for yourself first then do the V8 swap later if you are looking
for more.

·
Registered
36,471 Posts
I’ve found a basic Mustang from 1965, she seems to be in very good order from pics but before I go I need your help regarding How basic is a basic Mustang?
The 200 paired with a 3 speed manual is enough to enjoy the ride? Drums all around will stop the car on time? Do you really need a V8 to have the real deal?

BTW they are asking 20.000€ for the car

I’m not an speed maniac nor an sporty driver unless I drive a real sport car! I’ve had some old Mercedes W123 and Volvo 240 and enjoy driving them leisureously, Can the same be done with a Mustang? Or do you need more power?
My first Mustang was a 66 200/3-speed with manual drum brakes, and I drove it all over the place with a boat trailer, including down the hill made famous in Harry Chapin's 30,000 Pounds of Banannas. I also got 30 mpg on the highway, without the boat. Had many great trips in that car, beach dates, etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts