Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to install headlight relays on my 65. I've seen some really cheap kits on Amazon, $20 or so but am skeptical.
Can someone give me the benefit of their experience here?
thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
1965 Coupe C-Code
3,090 Posts
I installed one of the el cheapo kits from Amazon. Works like a charm.
Me too.

I can't find any difference between these and the $50 ones from the Mustang suppliers. Except the price.

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
A relay is a relay. As long as the wire gauage is at least 14 gauge, you are golden. Unless the relay is one of those clear ones lit internally by an LED...those are pure garbage.

Reactions: 2nd 66

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
All reports I have seen are that those kits work well.

In addition to lights, I have relays for an electric fan and horns. As such, I went with a fuse/relay box and my own wiring.

If interested:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Me too.

I can't find any difference between these and the $50 ones from the Mustang suppliers. Except the price.

Will these work with the stock original style headlights? Or just the LED type?

Thanx!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Will these work with the stock original style headlights? Or just the LED type?
Thanx!
The point of using a relay is to remove the high amp load of the headlight from the light switch. There is less strain on your 50+ year old light switch, wires and plugs that degrade over time.
You would use the light switch to turn on the relay using something around 0.05 amps to operate the relay (almost nothing). Then the relay does all the work and runs the headlights.
An LED headlight is a relatively low amp load device. Since original incandescent headlights need about 5 to 10 times more power to run them than LED headlights, there isn't a whole lot of advantage to use a relay to run an LED headlight, It only makes sense to use a relay if you are running original incandescent headlights.

But to answer your question, YES you could use a relay to run EITHER original incandescent or LED headlights. The relay doesn't care what it is running. It can be a small amp load or a big amp load.
BTW, I'm an electrical engineer and I never use the cheapo parts. I prefer premium parts like Bosch relays. As long as you get one rated for the load you will probably never need to replace it. After all, do you really want to diagnose an electrical problem, find another relay and replace the part in a few years? I consider it penny wise and dollar foolish.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The point of using a relay is to remove the high amp load of the headlight from the light switch. There is less strain on your 50+ year old light switch, wires and plugs that degrade over time.
You would use the light switch to turn on the relay using something around 0.05 amps to operate the relay (almost nothing). Then the relay does all the work and runs the headlights.
An LED headlight is a relatively low amp load device. Since original incandescent headlights need about 5 to 10 times more power to run them than LED headlights, there isn't a whole lot of advantage to use a relay to run an LED headlight, It only makes sense to use a relay if you are running original incandescent headlights.

But to answer your question, YES you could use a relay to run EITHER original incandescent or LED headlights. The relay doesn't care what it is running. It can be a small amp load or a big amp load.
Thanks for the clarification!

·
Premium Member
9,592 Posts
The only comment I can add is, "Relay" quality maybe suspect in the "El Cheap" kits. I'm a fan of the Bosch brand. I added a headlight kit several years ago, I purchased, I think, from Ron Francis.

·
Premium Member
15,301 Posts
The best quality relays and relay kits are sold by Daniel Stern. He also sells completely wired relay assemblies that are ready to plug in, no soldering or assembly required. And they fit perfectly.

Not for a bargain hunter though.

And old school shopping: no checkout cart . You will actually need to communicate via email.

Z

1 - 20 of 28 Posts