Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After pulling my heater box out along with the heater core and the blower motor (dated Aug 24, 1964), and going to Mustangs Unlimited first and then to NAPA to get a 2nd new heater core, both of the new heater cores did not fit in the heater core box. The hose pipes are about 1/3 too wide to fit in the box holes. I do not want to ruin the box and drill the holes wider as I would also have to retrofit the firewall holes too.

I know that my car was delivered in Sept 1964 and that it was made in the same month, so I am thinking that maybe the heater core used originally is from a 1964 Falcon? Any thoughts?

Any ideas on where I can get the correct heater core? (My original heater core fits in the new heater core box perfectly)

Thanks

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Are you saying that the pipes on the new core are 1/3 larger in diameter? If so, the hoses will not fit on them anyway. The pipes should be for 1/2" hoses.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
I'm guessing he means the spread across the pipes. It's not unusual for the spread to be way off. If that's the problem keep looking or modify the box.
By the way the production date of your car is not particularly early. It's probably a true 65. Usually the latest model year starts in production late August.

What about the firewall? Would it also have to be modified? If so I'd keep looking.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Yep--the Autozone and Napa heater cores are the same--tried them both. I ended up at California Mustang. I bought the aluminum core they had which is another modern design, but theirs fits. Don't bother with the rubber end cap seals--they aren't needed/don't fit with the new core. DO NOT try to make the Autozone or Napa cores fit--you just run into more problems as you get further into the project. Unfortunately I know from experience there...

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
i bought one from national parts depot and the rubber end caps. its a very tight fit with the caps but it doesnt rattle and the pipes are spaced right

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Aah, the spacing! I recently replaced my '65 heater box. The core was in great condition, as it was fairly new, and only fit because the box was broken in several places. (Thus the replacement.) All I needed to do was to elongate the holes using a Dremel with a grinding stone. It was super easy, and did not damage the box in any way. The holes in the firewall were not an issue, as the tubes themselves do not protrude through it, and there was room enough for the hoses to just flex to where they needed to go.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I think I have the original heater core that I changed out a couple months ago and the new one fit fine. I can measure the lines on the old one if that helps. It's a good heater core still, I just changed it out because I was rebuilding the box. My car is Dec of 64.

·
Registered
35,835 Posts
There was a batch of these shipped from China a couple years ago. Beautifully made, and complete junk because they were made wrong. I'm guessing there are thousands of these floating around.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
The one I received from Autozone was so far out, that after egg shaping the holes in the case, it fit in the case. However, once the case was assembled and hoses were put on, the defroster duct would not fit as the relocated hoses prevented it from going on.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have 3 heaters, 1 from December, 1964 car and 2 from January, 1965 cars. All 3 measure 2-3/4 to centers.

Where are you located? If you are close, it might be possible to go to the supplier (NPD, Virginia Classic, Ponderosa Mustang, etc.) with your old one in hand to compare with.

·
Registered
702 Posts
One alternative would be to take your original core to a good local radiator shop and have them measure and order a new one for you. It may cost more, but it should fit the first time.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Make sure you pressure test it to about 30 PSI before putting it in. I've had them leak brand new. Put it in a bucket of water, put a rubber cork in one tube, hold the cork with your hand and pump air into it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Heater core and original air conditioning

Thanks for all of the replies. After going to three auto part stores including mustangs unlimited, all of the heater cores tested would not fit. Imagine that. So I found an old original heater core online that was the exact manufactured part from Ford and I am sure that this will fit as it is exactly as my original one is.

Now the only problem is going to try an get the heater box back in past the Ac unit. I guess I will have to take off the console, and uncscrew the a c unit. Only thing is that there is a long screw/bolt in the back of the ac unit past the ac motor that appears to be bolted to teh frame and the ac. Any clue if I have to do anything with that to move the ac without harming the freon?

thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
A couple of years ago I got a heater core from autozone that fit perfectly. At that time they had an aluminum that did not fix and a copper/brass one that was perfect. Don't know if it is still available.

I was able to get the heater box in and out just removing the screws from the front bracket and moving the unit a little. Of course I have no console. A little movement will not bother the hoses.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts