Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what kind of mileage are people getting with an I6? i had a 289 and a 4 speed that got horrible mileage, but am looking at picking up another mustang as a daily driver and was curious what kind of fuel economy these got?

i need something that gets better mileage than my 79 f250 with a 460 and ten inches of lift and 40 inch tires

thanks
gaven

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
A straight six won't have significantly better mileage, I drove my 66FB I6 all through high school and the mileage wasn't any better than an 8 with a lot less power (The fact that it was the only classic Mustang at the school made up for the fact that it was slow).

If you want a cheap car that gets good mileage check out a Ka.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I got 26-27 hwy mpg from a 66 I6 w/ C4 auto that I used to have. It was a new motor not even totally broken it yet.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I've got a '66 200ci 3speed manual. I get in the mid 20's. Easier on the wallet than your F250 and it'll also go fast enough to get a ticket.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Ten years ago I had a 68 convertible with the I6 and 3 speed manual. I drove mostly on the highway at 75 mph with 26 mpg.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I've never had an I6. But when we drove across country in 1994 from CA to NC for the 30th anniversary of the Mustang one of the club members had a 66 vert with an I6 and two of us had 289's one w/auto and one with a 3 speed manual. All three cars had California smog equipment and were bone stock. IIRCC the I6 got 22-24 mpg while I got my normal 16-18. The other 289 got 18-20. The I6 did have a hard time keeping up with us in the hills of East Tennessee and Western NC :lol:

·
Registered
164 Posts
my 66 I6 with a 3 speed manual from a V-8 car gets mileage in the mid-twenties

·
Registered
272 Posts
It would do even better with a T5

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thats what i thought they got, my uncle had one back in the day and said it got mid 20's and would cruise at 70 no problem on the freeway

thanks for all the replys

1 - 12 of 12 Posts