Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '65 with manual (drum) brakes. I am restoring it and have heard the master cylinder on the car is dangerous because it is a single reservior type. One leak and you've lost all brakes. In 1966, after January or so, the government made Ford change the design. Is there a dual reservior master cylinder available I can use? So far, I have only been able to find dual reserviors for power manual (drum) brakes and I am not sure it will work.

Were the non-powered manual brakes eliminated after 1965?

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
The change to dual reservior was doen with the change over to the 67 model year.

Dangerous? I would choose to refer to it (66) as not as safe as the later version. But neither is the steering column, seat belts,,,,,,,,,,,, (but not the gas tank ;)

Jeff Speegle
MCA Shelby Gold Card

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/6473
Mustang & Shelby research, documentation

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1609818&a=12284202&p=44925357&Sequence=7&res=high.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
I have a 66 and I just changed from single to dual master cylinders, It cost me $33.00 bucks at Checker Auto and now there on sale for $19.95. It is just a bolt on but a few changes, 1) the push rod on my 66 is longer than the 67, 2) I had the reroute the lines and use a few adaptors to fit the original steel lines to the new master cylinder.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I live in Houston and my normal parts houses don't have the dual one. Is there something special your telling them? The only one they have is for power drum brakes. I don't have the power version, strickly manual drum. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
I think the dual unit I'm using in my 65 is actually a 67 unit. If you're in Houston call John's Mustang - (668-5646). They are at 5234 Glenmont (Glenmont and Royalton near the intersection of 59 and 610). I bet they'll be able to guide you and may have the necessary parts. Good luck - Dickson

1965 GT fastback / "Fastbasketcase" (by Midlife)
There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts