Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the mounts in my fastback (and probably should do it in my convertible as well) and am wondering which ones I should get. I see in the NPD catalog that there are L and R specific mounts for cars built before 11/1/65 (both of my cars are April 65 Dearborn cars) and there are 1966 mounts which are a revised (improved?) design.

Can I/should I go with 1966 mounts as both my cars are driver cars as I am not looking to be perfectly correct with everything, but rather want nice drivers. Is it worth it go to poly or is good old fashioned rubber the way to go?

Any tips on this job? How difficult of a swap is this going to be? Any and all input appreciated!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone have any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
35,839 Posts
They are not interchangeable. To change to the "66" style, you have to replace the frame brackets, too. Ford changed because the new design was simpler to install, and cheaper to manufacture. Not better.

"Nice driver" and "urethane motor mount" do not belong in the same sentence.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I tried to use the 66 style mounts when I did an I6 to 302 conversion on my 65. They did not work well at all. I ended up using RMP adjustable mounts. If your car is stock, then my advise would be to just get 65 replacement mounts.

What part of Austin are you in? I'm just north of town. If your interested on Saturday evenings from about 6-10 some of us meet in Cedar Park at 1431 and 183A at Carl Jr and Cick Fil A.

·
Registered
370 Posts
What part of Austin are you in? I'm just north of town. If your interested on Saturday evenings from about 6-10 some of us meet in Cedar Park at 1431 and 183A at Carl Jr and Cick Fil A.
I keep meaning to get by there and visit with the Ford/Mustang guys. I have been dedicationg Saturday's to working on my '65 at my shop space in Leander and am usually pooped and dirty by 6pm.

·
Registered
35,839 Posts
I also understand that the '66 mounts will raise the engine 1". This is recommended for installing a 351 Windsor.
Not true. These engines were mounted at the same height, regardless of year or body style. Besides, the 351W was 1" taller than the 289/302. Why would you want it 1" higher than that?

Mustang Smallblock V8 Motor Mounts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried to use the 66 style mounts when I did an I6 to 302 conversion on my 65. They did not work well at all. I ended up using RMP adjustable mounts. If your car is stock, then my advise would be to just get 65 replacement mounts.

I'm down in South Austin but I might swing by sometime. I've been wondering if there was anywhere that people get together on the weekends, this is good to know!

·
Registered
400 Posts
The 66 mounts DO raise the engine up a little. I installed some JBA headers in my 65 and they would not fit. JBA told me to run the 66 mounts to get more clearance. The 66 mounts did the trick.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I'm down in South Austin but I might swing by sometime. I've been wondering if there was anywhere that people get together on the weekends, this is good to know!
I keep meaning to get by there and visit with the Ford/Mustang guys. I have been dedicationg Saturday's to working on my '65 at my shop space in Leander and am usually pooped and dirty by 6pm.
Thats cool. Disregard what I said before. I forgot we are not meeting there any longer. We now meet a 1431 and 183 not 183a at Schlotzskys from about 6-10 on Saturdays. Sorry for the bad info.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts