Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

im new to the gamebut have loved old mustangs since I was a kid. Have the opportunity to buy one but not sure what are the right questions to ask and what to look for. I have provided the little info about the car that I have, below but any help and advice would be very welcomed.

1965 289 coupe
45350km
Some rust/bubbling under the pain

thank you

nik

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
Ask the owner if they will take less.
Ask yourself if you can find a better one for that much or less.:unsure:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Not all of the pics are loading for me. Could just be a me thing though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ask the owner if they will take less.
Ask yourself if you can find a better one for that much or less.:unsure:
they’re asking for $10500 Canadian. Seems cheap relative to other mustang s ive seen so I’m curious as to what problems ithas

·
Banned
3,546 Posts
I think the biggest factor here is going to be the condition, just how much rust there is, where and what else needs to be done on the car. Most of the v8 coupes with an automatic transmission down here in the states are being listening for a max of about $15-16k. The rarer cars are being listed for more as are the ones with the really nice restorations or the "resto mods". If you've got a good deal of surface rust under the paint you're probably going to need to get the car repainted at some point and that usually costs at least $5k US up to over $8-10k US. So if you're trying to be ahead of the game and not be losing money on the car, you'll probably be at the break even point if all you have to do is paint the car. If you have to do suspension, engine work and so on you're probably going to be into the car for more than what it's worth. If you don't care about that and you think the car is a good deal then by all means buy the car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you @ElConductor for your thoughts. What kind of questions would be good to ask to see how much work the car needs then? He lives about 3 hours away from me so want to inquire a bit to decide if the car is worth the drive out. I plan on bringing a friend that’s a mechanic but he hasn’t dealt with many old cars

thanns again

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
What kind of questions would be good to ask to see how much work the car needs then? He lives about 3 hours away from me so want to inquire a bit to decide if the car is worth the drive out. I plan on bringing a friend that’s a mechanic but he hasn’t dealt with many old cars.
Ask the seller if you can pour some water down each cowl vent in front of the windshield to see if the carpet inside at the toe/floor boards gets wet. If the answer is no, don't go. Taking a mechanic along is fine, but a person that knows how to evaluate a unibody for corrosion both obvious and hidden would be better. That's the really big ticket issue for these cars, rust.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
That is a good looking package right there! The asking price is very attractive as well. The real concern is the extent of the rust....sometimes on cars like that it was improperly repaired and covered up--bubbling can be a condition that you see in areas where rust repairs were so so, filler was used as opposed to cutting it out and properly patching rust holes . You really want to get the car on a lift to carefully inspect the frame rails and floor and general underpinnings. Then the external body areas where they historically rust, the back lower areas of the fenders, the front lower areas of the doors, and around the rear lower 1/4s and wheel arches. Older repairs often just dented in the rust hole areas and filled them with fiberglass and bondo...looks good for a few years and then bubbling around the edges of the repair start bleeding thru..people do this to the underneath areas as well. Then there is the area of the cowl that is a huge problem area for rust to start in the hidden lower outer corners, which creates holes which then allow the water to run onto the front floor, rusting those areas out. Some rust is to be expected along with some type of repair work, whether it can be lived with, or dealt with is what you need to know..Try to find out as much as you can about the car such as how long the current owner has had it, prior owners before that, were they the ones that had it painted/ If so, any before and after photos of what was done body work-wise. Also, look at the titles vin number and verify it matches the visible one on the left front apron under the hood, and hopefully the door plate.. Let us know what you find even if you don't buy it, Hopefully, you have a garage and enough mechanical ability to work on the car -maintenance and general things that are always popping up. If you are unable or unwilling to work on the mechanical issues yourself, it can be expensive and frustrating when problems arise. A complete quality redo of body and paintwork can be difficult to properly estimate without disassembling the car, but it usually is close to a small countries national debt, I like the car though!

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
6,670 Posts
There's holes in the tops of the fender aprons. That tells me if the top is rusted so is the bottom. Wanna see where the hot spots for rust on these cars, check out the Build section on this forum. And in Canada, bodyshop door rate is roughly $75/hr + materials give or take.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey there,

im new to the gamebut have loved old mustangs since I was a kid. Have the opportunity to buy one but not sure what are the right questions to ask and what to look for. I have provided the little info about the car that I have, below but any help and advice would be very welcomed.

1965 289 coupe
45350km

thank you

nik

View attachment 737600
Hey there,

1965 289 coupe
45350km

thank you

nik

View attachment 737600 View attachment 737601 View attachment 737602
There's holes in the tops of the fender aprons. That tells me if the top is rusted so is the bottom. Wanna see where the hot spots for rust on these cars, check out the Build section on this forum. And in Canada, bodyshop door rate is roughly $75/hr + materials give or take.
View attachment 737601 View attachment 737602
Hey there,

1965 289 coupe
45350km

thank you

nik

View attachment 737600 View attachment 737601 View attachment 737602
biggest thing with these cars is rust, they are 50+ years old. look it over real good.ask questions. good luck.

·
Registered
37,647 Posts
One thing I would ask is do you/does the seller's province have a safety inspection and is the vehicle current? Of course, a lot depends on who does the inspection and how thorough it is.

·
Banned
3,546 Posts
Thank you @ElConductor for your thoughts. What kind of questions would be good to ask to see how much work the car needs then? He lives about 3 hours away from me so want to inquire a bit to decide if the car is worth the drive out. I plan on bringing a friend that’s a mechanic but he hasn’t dealt with many old cars

thanns again
I’d ask for as many pictures of the car as possible, especially in the trunk area. Also, check underneath the car, underneath the quarter panels and fenders as mustangs love to rust in those areas. I’d have your buddy also look at the suspension, brakes and take the car for a spin to see how it runs and drives. If it smokes, runs hot, pulls to one side and so on. If the car does those things it’s going to add to the price of you owning it. As another member stated, check the cowl vent as those aren't generally a quick or cheap fix.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@4ocious @geicoman58 @Caper50 @Jmcs66 @ElConductor
thanks for your thoughts. I was reading that the underside is very susceptible- torque box especially, along with the cowl. It sounds like based off your thoughts and what I see it may be a bigger project than I am prepared to take on. It’s just some tempting cause I’ve wanted this car for so long and I love the colour. But I will be patient. If more info comes up I’ll drop it here. Thanks again for everything

·
Registered
80 Posts
Have you considered purchasing a pony from the lower US states that are not exposed to possible conditions that cause rust? You would buy with more confidence and you would have many more choices to pick from. Do inspect the car in person and and not base your purchase on delightful pictures and summaries. The way the engine runs, if it hesitates, it starts easily, smooth shifts, creaky noises, vibration, pulling to one side, braking, over-heating, electrical issues, way the doors close and ect. Mustangs are small cars and might not fit everyone . See how it feels to you. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Find a Mustang owner neer you that is knowledgeable and see if he can inspect the car.
Where is your location in Canada

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
On the surface, the car looks good. But there are some areas of the inner fenders that look concerning to me. All of the pictures are too far away to really judge the condition. You have to see it in person and look at the areas as suggested by the good people here. I would also bring a magnet wrapped in painter’s tape. Run the magnet around the areas mentioned in a prior post as a way to determine if there is filler instead of metal. Having someone who knows cars to go with you is a huge help. Good luck!

Reactions: Apop
1 - 20 of 32 Posts