Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys ! I am building my 65 with a 289. Getting ready to drop the engine. I am picking up some parts that I need for the setup. I have no idea what I need as far as distributor goes. Do I need just the distributor? Do I get a ignition box? If so can you guys suggest a setup with model types? Thanks!

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
Ok, there is nothing "wrong" with running a well kept factory type ignition system. A stock distributor ( in good working condition) with "points" and condenser set correctly will work just fine. Your responsibility, is to check on the point setting every 6 months, depending on your usage. Yes, there are alternatives, Pertronix Ignitors, CD systems, even coil over systems. but, all are more money (initially) and in the end, maybe not so reliable. If a novice, give it time to learn through experience and what works for you and your budget.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, there is nothing "wrong" with running a well kept factory type ignition system. A stock distributor ( in good working condition) with "points" and condenser set correctly will work just fine. Your responsibility, is to check on the point setting every 6 months, depending on your usage. Yes, there are alternatives, Pertronix Ignitors, CD systems, even coil over systems. but, all are more money (initially) and in the end, maybe not so reliable. If a novice, give it time to learn through experience and what works for you and your budget.
I don't have a ignition system. Nothing ! I need something to start with. I just want to go with a recommended , time tested, and economical option.

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
Ok,....good old fashion distributor with points and condenser, connected to a coil, its associated wiring.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
juca2188,

If your cam is a flat tappet original style and you are not concerned with originality, a Scott Drake IGN-D1352 HEI Street/Strip Distributor would be an effective piece to consider as well as budget friendly. They go for 90 to 100, electronic so no points and do not require you to purchase a coil. You may find and use original dizzy for less but it may need to be rebuilt and a you would need to purchase a coil.
Either way you will want to pickup a set of quality plug wires. A good set of 7mm or 8mm silicone wires will run you 45 or so.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
In short, are you old school and do not mind a bit of maintenance, like to work on your car? Go old school with a stock points system. If you do, look up Mustang Barn, and send your distributor to Dan to have it recurved to better performance specs. If you are new school, want less maintenace, more reliable performance in most cases, yes.....go with a HEI system. I see you are a new member, respctfully, use the search engine to view old post, a lot of good old information about this subject out there.

·
Registered
969 Posts
You can pick up a Ford rebuilt 12127 distributor, silicone wires, rotor and cap and a stock coil at NAPA Auto Parts. it will come with new points and condenser. Follow stock point gap/dwell and timing instructions and you should be good. Not very expensive either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts