Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
289 When the engine gets warm, the next gasoline will not be in the filter and the engine will not start. Is the pump weak? I don't know how to solve it, whether or not the vent is bad. please tell me.

·
Premium Member
11,802 Posts
It sounds like you may be having vapor lock problems but your description of the problem is vague. What does "the next gasoline will not be in the filter" mean?

·
Registered
928 Posts
I'd check your fuel filter to see if it's plugged. Also, check all the hose clamps & connections in your fuel line in case the gas is siphoning back to the tank.

·
Registered
35,508 Posts
Well, first things first. You shouldn't be able to see the fuel inside the fuel filter since it should be in the canister attached to the fuel pump. Second, the inlet to the float bowl is in the top so when you shut the car off the float bowl should be more or less full. There are no gaskets below the float bowl and any fuel from the bowl has to be drawn up out of the bowl before discharge so the only way it can all leak out is from a crack in the carburetor body or some is escaping due to percolation from excess heat.

As I've said before (I wish I had a nickel for each time), the proper warm starting procedure is to hold the accelerator pedal down 1/4 of the way and crank the engine. If it doesn't start, hold the pedal to the floor and crank until it starts and runs smoothly. If you're having percolation issues the typical causes are too much under hood heat (headers, late ignition timing, etc.) and excessive use of rubber fuel line.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts