Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!
Ive wanted a 65 mustang since I was 8 and finally was able to buy myself my 1st project at 26! Im new to cars in general and this is my 1st project. My step dad is teaching me as we go. So bear with me if what Im saying doesnt make sense. Im trying to explain best I can with as little knowledge as I have. Anyways, the mustang I have doesnt start up yet, we think its a timing issue but we havnt gotten to that stage yet. Our issue now, is when we run the oil pump with a drill, there doesnt seem to be much oil coming out to the rocker arms. We took the arms off and we are getting a little splatter, but not nearly enough to fill the arm and send oil where it needs to go. Ive read a bunch of inconsistent info from different places. My question is, how much oil should be coming out of the back hole when the assembly is off when running the pump with a drill? Ive heard not much will but more will when you start the engine (which I cant at the moment, other issues with timing needs to be resolved) and Ive also heard that it should look like the Bellagio Fountain and youll know its working. Curious if this is normal. Tomorrow we are trying a new oil pump, checking that the oil level is high enough, and double checking if its clogged in any way (it didnt seem like it as we took and air chuck to it and seemed clear). The engine is really clean inside so im guessing someone rebuilt/cleaned it and im hoping a galley plug isnt missing. Thanks for your help! sorry if it doesnt make sense.

·
Premium Member
9,679 Posts
Welcome to VMF.
I am not familiar with the 6 cylinder oiling system but I am familiar with the Y-block V8 oiling system which also uses rocker arms that are mounted on a shaft. The oil passes up from the pump to the camshaft bearings and then up through the cylinder head into one of the rocker arm shaft support blocks and into the hollow rocker arm shaft. Back in the old days of non-detergent oil these passageways would get clogged with sludge and block the oil flow to the rocker arms which resulted in severe galling of the rocker arms and the shaft.
Some times the oil must pass through a hole drilled through the camshaft so the oil only passes through the hole in the camshaft when the hole is lined up with the oil passageway in the block. The oil to the rocker arm shaft is delivered in spurts with this system. Other times there is a groove machined into the camshaft journal so the the oil passes around the camshaft journal instead of through it. The rocker arm shaft receives a steady flow of oil with this system. If your 6 cylinder has the drilled camshaft you will only get oil through the head when the hole is lined up so you need to rotate the crankshaft while you have the drill on the pump running. As you rotate the crank the cam will also rotate and when the oil hole lines up you will have a gusher instead of a dribbler. This is what you were reading about when you saw the reference to the Bellagio Fountain.
If your oil passageways are clogged you can try blowing compressed air through the oil passageways but since you say the inside of the engine is clean that's not likely your problem. You and your step-dad need to run the pump and rotate the crank at the same time and see if you find the "sweet spot" where the oil holes line up.

I'm sure some of our 6 cylinder experts will be along soon to nail down exactly how the oiling system works.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Welcome to VMF.
I am not familiar with the 6 cylinder oiling system but I am familiar with the Y-block V8 oiling system which also uses rocker arms that are mounted on a shaft. The oil passes up from the pump to the camshaft bearings and then up through the cylinder head into one of the rocker arm shaft support blocks and into the hollow rocker arm shaft. Back in the old days of non-detergent oil these passageways would get clogged with sludge and block the oil flow to the rocker arms which resulted in severe galling of the rocker arms and the shaft.
Some times the oil must pass through a hole drilled through the camshaft so the oil only passes through the hole in the camshaft when the hole is lined up with the oil passageway in the block. The oil to the rocker arm shaft is delivered in spurts with this system. Other times there is a groove machined into the camshaft journal so the the oil passes around the camshaft journal instead of through it. The rocker arm shaft receives a steady flow of oil with this system. If your 6 cylinder has the drilled camshaft you will only get oil through the head when the hole is lined up so you need to rotate the crankshaft while you have the drill on the pump running. As you rotate the crank the cam will also rotate and when the oil hole lines up you will have a gusher instead of a dribbler. This is what you were reading about when you saw the reference to the Bellagio Fountain.
If your oil passageways are clogged you can try blowing compressed air through the oil passageways but since you say the inside of the engine is clean that's not likely your problem. You and your step-dad need to run the pump and rotate the crank at the same time and see if you find the "sweet spot" where the oil holes line up.

I'm sure some of our 6 cylinder experts will be along soon to nail down exactly how the oiling system works.
Dosent work the same as a Y block

1 - 7 of 7 Posts