Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been told that the Ford factory stamped the V.I.N. on the driver and passenger aprons. The drivers side V.I.N. is visable, but the passenger side you need to remove the fender to view it. Also do all 65 V.I.N. # have stars stamped on both ends? Help please! Can anyone verify this?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there a V.I.N.# on the passenger side too? What I also noticed is the number three on the drivers apron is rounded on top and bottom, but on the door tag the number three is flat on top and rounded on the bottom, What's up here? Was this fender apron replaced and restamped at one time. The VIN's match with the title.
Thanks

·
Registered
713 Posts
You need to lay some pics on us to show what you are asking. Here is a typical 65 VIN number on the driver's side. Notice the stars on each side?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In regards to the VIN you posted, the number three on it looks this (3) and so does mine. But when I look at the door tag the number three looks like this (Z)on top but rounded on the bottom.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
In addition to the visible VIN on the drivers side and the hidden one on the passenger side, there is another one hidden on the driver's side.

·
Premium Member
19,259 Posts
pisanog said:
Is there a V.I.N.# on the passenger side too? What I also noticed is the number three on the drivers apron is rounded on top and bottom, but on the door tag the number three is flat on top and rounded on the bottom, What's up here? Was this fender apron replaced and restamped at one time. The VIN's match with the title.
Thanks
Door tag stampings use a different set of dies, so it is not unreasonable to see different shapes or fonts for the numbers. An original door tag I have has a "3" with a flat top.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts