Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mustang born on 5/4/65 from Dearborn.

I have the lower clutch rod that is like a crooked finger (pre-dates 65) and has a small spring that holds it on the throw out bearing arm which the spring is connected to the bell housing with the spring holder.
I have replaced the equalizer bar with new bushings and greased.
I have also placed 2 springs forward and behind the equalizer bar arms for more return tension (in which the clutch petal almost returns to upright position with help of my big toe pushing it back).
Do you think I need to replace parts or upgrade everything to a 1965 kit?
Maybe I need to replace the clutch pedal bushings?
Any info is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much and stay safe. Chris in TX

·
Registered
947 Posts
Definitely check the pedal support bushings and the clutch assist spring, also on the pedal support.

Check for any binding of the mechanism at any point in travel of the pedal from released height to the floor. If it binds at any point, you might have a bent arm or other binding in a bushing joint.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1st pic is my equalizer bar. I have since place the new white bushing, pad and spacer.
2nd pic is of the springs I had on "Ginger" when I bought her. I am now just using one which is the short thick one.
3rd pic is what I used to have set up (that is what I remembered. No wonder why the was a spring on the clutch pedal stretching to the drivers shaft inside the car)
4th pic is what is now. My adjustment is all the way out and the pedal will come back; but, when I adjust the pedal nuts more than 1/4" to 1/2", the clutch pedal stays down.

any ideas? IMG_20200713_172849.jpg IMG_20200713_193121.jpg I guess it might be on the pedal support kit. Do you think I should change out my "crooked finger?" lol....the lower clutch rod?

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
P.S. She will all be cleaned up nice and pretty when I get her all running. Also, I found out why "Ginger" was not running well. Her head had a casting number of C1. Plus she had a c4 water pump. This car should be called "Lucky to run half way decent!" lol

·
Premium Member
11,747 Posts
I have the lower clutch rod that is like a crooked finger
The lower clutch rod is not supposed to be bent. You have problems if it is bent. The arms of the z-bar are bent if that's what you mean. If the pedal stays on the floor it sounds like your pressure plate has failed.
Also, I found out why "Ginger" was not running well. Her head had a casting number of C1. Plus she had a c4 water pump. This car should be called "Lucky to run half way decent!" lol
The C1 and C4 indicate that the particular part was originally designed for use in the 1961 and 1964 model year. If there was no significant change in the part it could have still been in use 10 or more years later. What makes you think that those parts were causing your engine to run poorly? What parts did you use to make it run better?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Definitely check the pedal support bushings and the clutch assist spring, also on the pedal support.
The bushings for the pedals are plastic and a soft metal. If they wear so that the pedal shaft is rubbing directly against the steel support it will hang-up as you've described. Check out roller bearing replacements if you have to go there.

·
Registered
526 Posts
On the top of the pedal box connected to your clutch pedal is a large helper spring. It's supposed to reduce the effort to disengage the clutch. Many find it unnecessary especially for the six cylinder application. The problem with the big helper spring is that after it travels over the apex it acts to suck to pedal to the floor.From your description it sounds like that whats happening when you adjust the pedal. I had that problem when I converted to a T-5 and resolved it by devising a travel limiter for the upper rod. Now my pedal can't bring my spring over the apex so it doesn't get stuck to the floor.

Gregg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts