Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, My name is Jorge, I am 19 yrs old and I have a couple important questions. So I've been recently looking for Mustangs from 65-66 to find as a daily driver. I've found a couple and I'm actually going to go look at one on Saturday 6/4/2020. If purchased this is going to be my first car and I've always wanted one of these classics cars since I was a boy, something about the 65 Mustang coupe year just puts a giant smile on my face. My questions are, Is it worth making one of these my daily driver? Would there be mandatory upgrades I would have to make ? What should I look for when buying one of these ? Thank you all.

·
Dimples
4,651 Posts
Exciting!

It’s certainly possible to daily a classic, but one of the most important factors will be your willingness to maintain it.

Another big factor will be your budget. Generally, it’s best to get the best condition car you can find. Mods for daily driving will depend on its current state. For example, most will agree that you need to upgrade to a dual reservoir brake master cylinder, but most cars suitable for daily driver duty will already have been updated there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exciting!

It’s certainly possible to daily a classic, but one of the most important factors will be your willingness to maintain it.

Another big factor will be your budget. Generally, it’s best to get the best condition car you can find. Mods for daily driving will depend on its current state. For example, most will agree that you need to upgrade to a dual reservoir brake master cylinder, but most cars suitable for daily driver duty will already have been updated there.
Thank you for the information! Do you know about the miles per gallon?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Smiles per gallon are unequaled with a classic carbureted V8. 6 cyl mpg will better, but if efficiency is a concern you should aspire to a different car. Keeping gas in it will not be where the bulk of your money goes that’s for sure!
if you really want it, make it happen. Good luck

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts
MPG depends on I-6 or V8, your carburetor, cam, heads, transmission and rear gear choices.... Sooooooo many variables.
How will you be driving the car? Mainly city stop and go, highway, or a mix? How far?
I drove mine to high school, work, dating, then college and work, only vehicle I owned for years until I needed a truck and got married. Very doable, just so many options.

Reactions: Huntingky

·
Dimples
4,651 Posts
Thank you for the information! Do you know about the miles per gallon?
Hah, if you have to ask, you might be in trouble.

This is going to vary HUGELY depending on the car. Plenty of us here are running single digits in MPG. I have no idea what my MPG is, mostly because I don't care, and it would probably depress me if I knew, lol.

I would expect a well-tuned V8 to deliver high teens, and a 6cyl may do as well as 20ish, but I have no science to back that up. Either way, you're likely to get better MPG with a manual than with an automatic.

I daily drove a couple of 65-66 Mustangs by your age, and it wasn't that bad, but that was in the early 90's when the MPG standards for newer cars was much different.

·
Premium Member
11,772 Posts
I'm actually going to go look at one on Saturday 6/4/2020.
Do you have a time machine? 6/4/2020 is already in the past and it was a Thursday. Or do you mean this coming Saturday, 7/4/2020?

I drove a '69 Mach 1 as my daily driver. It doesn't matter how old the car is as long as you do regular maintenance on it.

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts
I still get around 15-ish around my little town and 20-ish on the highway with a 289, 4 barrel, C4 auto and 2.80 rear diff

Reactions: Nos681

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MPG depends on I-6 or V8, your carburetor, cam, heads, transmission and rear gear choices.... Sooooooo many variables.
How will you be driving the car? Mainly city stop and go, highway, or a mix? How far?
I drove mine to high school, work, dating, then college and work, only vehicle I owned for years until I needed a truck and got married. Very doable, just so many options.
It would be a mix of highway, freeway and streets but I’d most likely only use it for going on dates and cruising mainly, When I go out I travel about 50 or so Miles but besides that I wouldn’t use it for work even tho work is pretty close to me. Just mainly dates, running errands, grocery shopping, to the mall, stuff that’s normally done on the weekends.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you have a time machine? 6/4/2020 is already in the past and it was a Thursday. Or do you mean this coming Saturday, 7/4/2020?

I drove a '69 Mach 1 as my daily driver. It doesn't matter how old the car is as long as you do regular maintenance on it.
My bad I meant 7/4/2020, and yes I understand. Thank you.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Get the best rust free car that you can afford. Don't buy without the opinion of someone who has Mustang experience. A local car club may be able to help.

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts
This sounds more like a weekend / pleasure cruiser, which is what I'm doing with mine now, than a daily driver as a means of sole transportation. Still cool.
Beware fresh paint without photos of all bodywork completed, beware rusty floor pans, rails, wheel wells, or a leaking cowl that leads to an early Mustang's demise.
Beware people advertising as "fully restored" as 99.99% of them are anything but.

·
VMF Ambassador
6,615 Posts
Yeah, sounds like you actually want a weekend "toy" rather than a daily driver - I'm assuming you've got a daily already? In that case, that is a lot more doable, because you won't have to rely on it every day for transportation.

Not to say that these cars can't be used as singular daily drivers. Every year I take mine on 4-6 week long road trips and there's certainly no spare car to bail me out in that instance. Longest I've gone in one trip was 7 weeks and 10,000 miles, and she was fine aside from killing a fuel pump on the first day (my car always kills something on the first day, without fail). But I think all of us would agree that 10,000 miles is a long way to go trouble-free - they always seem to need some minor piddling around at a shorter interval than that. My car also does daily driver duty for a lot of the year, when I don't have it taken apart for projects (more frequently because I got bored, rather than because I really truly needed to fix something), or when I don't need to drive a bunch of people or large objects around. Classic Mustangs are great for many, many more things than most people would think, but the fact remains that they are NOT good for more than one adult-sized passenger, or for moving large objects around. Although I have transported three grown ass men and an entire Thanksgiving dinner in my fastback with me before, I suppose.

Whether or not this car will make you happy is entirely dependent on how you like to spend your time. These cars just need maintenance more frequently than any modern car. They develop weird noises, need tuneups, break crappy aftermarket parts, etc. It is almost 100% guaranteed that at least one of your dates will end up standing on the side of the road waiting for AAA with you. A lot of significant others think that they like your car, until they realize that you spend a lot more time on the car than on them. You will spend a ton of money, especially if you want it to look good and be fast. If you're just going for the cool factor, please know that there is a 1:1 ratio of cool:work moments with these cars.

I bought my car at 19. I poured every last cent I made into this car, worked a job all through college, worked on it all weekend every weekend for three years to build it right, and missed out on a lot of the "college experience" as a result. I have no regrets and wouldn't trade that car for anything. Nearly ten years later, I have had more awesome life experiences because of this car than I ever would have. But it's always work. So be careful with what you decide to get into.

·
Registered
444 Posts
My coupe was my daily driver while living in Cali.
I bought as a project....hmmmm...it’s still a project.
That doesn’t bother me as much as 9 months of winter in Michigan.😂

Smiles per gallon totally outweighs mpg.😎

·
Registered
281 Posts
I had a daily driver 65 as my first car. I lived in the Southwest so it wasn’t a problem other than some quite warm days in the summer. I was somewhere around 15mpg around town and 20mpg highway. My car had the 289 and a C4.

·
Registered
868 Posts
From last snow to first snow my 67 gets me everywhere. This Friday I will head over the divide to Grand Junction and will return on Saturday. Today I checked the coolant level and the point gap. All seems to be good for the 500 mile round-trip. Drive em, maintain them and they will get you where you want to be.

·
Registered
48 Posts
On Condition: It is much harder to fix a rusted quarter panel than it is to replace most drive-train parts.

On Fuel Economy: When it's empty, I fill it up. Big V8s and rich 4150s take great pleasure in turning copious amounts of dead dinosaur into sound and kinetic energy.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
If you ask me...buying a vintage mustang to impress potential dates is doomed to failure. Women will see the car as old, uncomfortable and unreliable more often than anything else. I daily drove my first vintage mustang(67 coupe) for years with zero problems other than occasionally frying a starter solenoid....I put well over 30k miles on the thing...to this day the 289 is one of the most reliable motors I have owned. The car got about 20-22mpg on the highway and around 15mph around town with a 4 barrel holley and a c4, your experience may differ. It harder and harder these days to find a rust free example, but that should be your goal...while rust repair isn't really hard(if you can weld and have all the needed tools)....it IS very time intensive. What IS expensive is paint and body work after rust replacement if you lack those skills.

·
Registered
473 Posts
My 66 was my daily driver for the first 10 years I owned it no matter the weather; even drove it through a hurricane that made landfall, and I've taken it up into the snow. Remember, these were sold new as daily drivers, and there's no reason they can't still perform the task. The difference is that we've become softer and accustomed to more comfort features than cars had 50+ years ago. I used to be happy with the "Armstrong Steering" and "2-60 Air" (lower 2 windows and drive 60mph) in my Mustang. Now, I'm installing EPAS power steering and a modern Classic Air HVAC system because I want it to be more comfortable (and my wife wants it to be more comfortable).

As for mileage, I averaged around 14-15 mpg, and recorded 21-22 mpg on a couple roadtrips in which I didn't put my foot into it but drove pretty mellow. That's was with a 4-bbl A-code and a 3.00:1 rear end.

The other concern is that it's now a classic! There are a lot of idiots on the road these days who pay more attention to their phones than their driving, so you're much more likely to suffer an accident as a result. Many don't want to subject a special car to that risk.

Anyway, it sounds like it won't be a daily driver but rather a weekend or date-night car, which it's perfect for! That's how I use my special cars! And it's very rewarding! The beauty of the car is that you can drive and enjoy it, and tackle improvements like dual master cylinder, adding AC, upgrading the brakes, etc. along the way.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts