Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this mustang for about 2 weeks now and this recently started happening. When at a red light the car tends to vibrate heavily and then just dies. This also happened when I was in heavy traffic and moving quite slow. Another problem it has is it tends to take a while to start up in the morning. I pump it about 4 times and try to start it but no luck. Takes a few more pumps and a few more tries until she starts up.

I am not very mechanically(yet) inclined but here's what I know the vehicle has:

289ci bored over 40.00 over Edelbrock Torker Aluminum heads, Edelbrock 600 cfm carb

Any idea what it could be?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Unfortunately, that's not enough to go on. We can only throw darts at this one. But... here we go!

Change the fuel pump.
Okay, that was too easy. But here is my thinking. Engines just need 3 things to run; fuel, air, spark. You are probably getting air and spark, so fueling is the easiest place to start. (However, this can be a timing issue. So that should be checked.) I think it's hard to start int he morning because the fuel pump is allowing the fuel to leak back into the tank. You have to turn and turn and turn the motor to get the FP to fill the carb back up. This type of issue with a FP can also cause issues when the engine is running slow too. The FP just isn't pumping enough at idle.

Now, that is just a gut feeling I get from behind my keyboard. It's hard to tell from here. This could also be a carb issue. If you're not too inclined yet, you may want to enlist the help of more inclined people for that. It's easy to get things way out of whack playing with carb settings.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately, that's not enough to go on. We can only throw darts at this one. But... here we go!

Change the fuel pump.
Okay, that was too easy. But here is my thinking. Engines just need 3 things to run; fuel, air, spark. You are probably getting air and spark, so fueling is the easiest place to start. (However, this can be a timing issue. So that should be checked.) I think it's hard to start int he morning because the fuel pump is allowing the fuel to leak back into the tank. You have to turn and turn and turn the motor to get the FP to fill the carb back up. This type of issue with a FP can also cause issues when the engine is running slow too. The FP just isn't pumping enough at idle.

Now, that is just a gut feeling I get from behind my keyboard. It's hard to tell from here. This could also be a carb issue. If you're not too inclined yet, you may want to enlist the help of more inclined people for that. It's easy to get things way out of whack playing with carb settings.
I appreciate the reply! You are right, I still have a lot of learning to do before I can do some real work on the car myself. Do you recommend I find a classic car shop to checkout this problem or any shop should be able to diagnose this?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Maybe, but not necessarily. Posting your location here is a great start. Maybe you live down the street from @Turnall or @Caper50 for all we know. Find your local mustang club. Fakebook may be a good start to look for local clubs too. We are a group of enthusiasts, and we sit on our computers typing this stuff up because we like to help. Finding help is not necessarily the same as just hiring a shop.

·
Premium Member
10,039 Posts
It sounds like maybe a vacuum line has become disconnected. Have you been messing around with the engine and maybe pulled one loose? An engine with a massive vacuum leak won't idle worth a darn but it will run OK at normal speeds.

Here's your local Mustang club:
MOCATX

1 - 5 of 5 Posts