Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, im a newbie and i might as well introduce myself... im steve. Ive been looking at getting a fastback for a while now, and i found a 65 fastback, 2+2, 3 speed manual fast back for 5995 locally... Now my idea of a nice fastback doesnt have a 6 cylinder in it, so my plans are (if i buy it) to drop an orignial 289 with a 4 speed tranny in. Now the car needs some minor work, fenders, front bumper, and paint... Does 5995 sound like a decent price for a 65, 2+2 fastback, 3 speed manual, 6 cylinder? it runs great, no rust anywhere and pretty straight body... Also, ive never heard of a 6 cylinder 2+2 3 speed, and im wondering if these are common at all? Thanks for your guys' input, and please help me find a good price to offer.
thanks
steve

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I can't answer as to rarity, but the price sounds pretty good if you have plans on doing all these changes anyway, if you know up front what you'll be getting into (new springs, spindles, etc. for V8). Sounds like a good platform for your project to me....

·
Registered
562 Posts
Welcome Steve: The price sounds good to me, and a fastback and rust free (are they ever completely?), runs great ,,, sounds like a deal. A swap to 8 cyl. is a lot of work and fair $$, so be sure it's what you want to do. (whats wrong with a 6 anyway?). Keep us posted. Good luck. Mark

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
The price is a very good one for a rust free car. The coversion to a V8 is not a big deal. Many of the Mustangs I see need new suspension pieces anyway. All the work you have to do for the conversion will give you a fresh, reliable, fun to drive Mustang.

But rahter than a 289, I'd suggest a 302. The 302/5.0 is easier to find and easier to make horsepower with.

Good Luck,

·
Registered
654 Posts
Hi, before you start laying out a lot of money for a conversion to an eight, have you considered an Offenhauser set up with dual carbs. It looks great with the aluminium ribbed valve cover and probably makes close to the HP of a stock 289 with less weight? Mark

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The price seems OK for what you're getting but a V8 conversion is alot more work than just finding a suitable engine and dropping it in. There are suspension and braking issues that need to addressed to accomodate the extra weight and HP.

The V8 conversion topic comes up here often. Spend some time using the search feature and read up on it. You'll then have a very good idea of what's invoved and you should be able to determine if you want to tackle the job.

After it's all done you'll still have 6 cylinder 3 speed car - just a modified one. I know decent 65 fastbacks are tough to find at a reasonable price but I would wait and find an 8 if that's what you want.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Go for it! Many (Most?) V-8 Mustangs Fastbacks have seen severe usage at the hands of young male adults. The 6 cylinder cars frequently are in better shape and not abused. There is no body structure difference between V-8's and I-6's. If you do this, you will most likely have a very nice V-8 Mustang that started life as a low power I-6, and happens to have an I-6 serial number. If you save parts taken off, the car can be converted back to original condition.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Everyone has a V8 fastback- Why not be a little different and keep the six? It's a strong motor and has its own advantages, such as a 7 main bearing crankshaft for unmatched balance and reliability. Not to mention, even after all my "hopping up" I've done, I still get over 25 MPG on 91 octane.

If you're a sheep, a wolf will eat you. Don't let yourself have another beautiful 1965 fastback with Flowmasters and "just a 289." If you MUST have a V8, then BUY a V8 ar... Don't butcher America's past by destroying what the car was made as.

Then again, like I always say, every L6 that's destroyed to make room for a *shudder* V8, it makes mine one more rare.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Hi Steve,
Welcome to the VMF...

If you live in California and decide to pass on that inliner FB, please contact me...I've been looking for a nice 65 FB to replace the race car for quite some time now....

BTW, if the car is indeed in the condition you posted, I'd hand the owner 6K and drive away...

Hope that answers your question..*G*

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hey, I'm Tom,a newbie also. I just bought a 99% rust free 65fb with a six and auto with factory air, and paid a litle less than what you say the guy wants. I would say it is probably worth every dime,if you want a six cyl car.I did, so I bought mine. If you want a V8, buy car that already is one. You'll spend less money than making that six an eight.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im in no way an expert in rarity or should my opinion weigh very heavily on your decision, but I would say if its what you want then go for it, Fastbacks are becoming more rare with each passing day, But it is a 6 cyl. you want to swap it for an 8cyl. there are many things that need to be redone to support the greater weight, suspension, shocks ect. (im sure others can "fill in" my gaps) but it all boils down to do you want a 65 mustang fastback 2+2 6 Cylinder. If that awnser is yes, then well you need to come up with $5,995

·
Registered
977 Posts
If you decide to go with a 302 let me suggest a 351W cam instead of a 302 firing order. High RPM's will turn the motor into a knocker. Trust me here it runs a lot smoother. You can run it down below 500 RPM at idle without stalling out. I did this to two 302 that I had. If the next person forgets about the 351W cam firing order, look out for the flames shooting out of the carb after a tune-up. It purrs like a kitty. You might even know this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've noticed all the excitement about the great condition of the 65 FB. I have been looking for a while and can not find a decent one for the money. I am in the market for a hobby fixer up 65 FB I6 or v8. I live in Florida and would be willing to ship. [email protected]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts