Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello again all,

I've progressed my build through this forum and have gotten to know some of you here. Due to some life changes, I think it's best to let my car go. I've learned some valuable skills to be able to carry on and possibly restore another car someday. I am in the process of listing the car on BaT but I wanted to offer it up here first because this forum feels like a family and I know it would go to a good, caring home.

Car History
The Car was purchased by me, sight unseen, from an older gentleman in Virginia. His neighbor purchased the car new in 1965 at a Ford Dealership down there. It was drivable and used until the mid 1990s when it was parked in a garage. The individual I purchased from bought from him with the intention of restoring it into a GT350 clone. The vin decodes as
63AFastbackStandard InteriorBucket Seats

RIvy Green (65 only)

D8Whit with Ivy Gold

LNovember 1964

25Richmond

Restoration
When I purchased the car the previous owner had a decent portion of the restoration started. He installed a disc brake front conversion along with new brake lines. He also installed new front fenders, new doors (whole not skins), new hood. He went through the entire suspension of the car and installed new shocks, new springs in front and rear, and all suspension parts were replaced with new parts. He was very picky and the new panels also line up great. I received the car and stripped it down entirely. All old metal was ground clean. I then welded new floor plans into the car along with a new trunk and rear panel. Everything lines up great. I then re-seam sealed everything on the car and the undercarriage and interior floor area was coated with chassis shield to preserve the car well into the future. The exterior body was sanded to bare metal and SPi epoxy primer was applied. A minor amount of body filler was used in the rear quarters as they are original and then the car was again resealed with SPi epoxy before applying Metalux Urethane and blocking the car out. Three coats of Metalux Basecoat were applied (close to Ivy Green Metallic) and finished with SPi Universal clear with four coats. The car was wet sanded and looks good, however there are a few areas with some orange peel but you can't tell unless you get very very close. Mechanically, the car has a professionally rebuilt T5, with the Mustang Steve Cable clutch kit. It shifts great the the Hurst shift I installed. The engine was rebuilt by the PO with a mild Comp Cam. A new Summit carburetor was also installed. Other new mechanical parts include: new battery, new radiator with brass filter, new MSD distributor, new MSD wires and plugs, new headers with 2.5 exhaust, new flamethrower coil. The entire harness is new or was gone over by Midlife. The interior features a new steering wheel, new radio, new speakers, new door panels, new fold down rear seat, new headliner, new front glass, new Intellitronix gauge cluster. I will also include the original cluster.

I have documented the restoration process with photos. I also kept all receipts from the restoration and have totaled the restoration costs in parts alone to close to $40,000. The car was road ready in June 2021. If you would like some of the photos or have specific questions please ask. As I mentioned previously, I am in the process of listing on BaT soon but I want to give anyone here a crack at it first. The car is a joy to drive. It's something that I am proud of and will certainly miss it but life sometimes demands other attentions. I appreciate everyone on here along the way and I will certainly contribute and still be an active member. Once you get these cars in your blood, it's not something that goes way.

$35000. I'm not in a dire need to sell the car today. If I can get roughly what it was appraised for and the buyer can be happy and take care of it, I will be happy.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,337 Posts
Very nice looking car!

Please add a price so that members have at least a ballpark figure of the cost.

·
Registered
588 Posts
This looks to be really well done. Where are you located? Northeast Pennsylvania?

Also (and I'm not being nitpicky, just curious):

1. I thought fastbacks didn't have the rocker panel trim.
B. Are there a corral & bars in the grille?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
This looks to be really well done. Where are you located? Northeast Pennsylvania?

Hello! Thanks. By no means is it a concourse museum piece car. I built the car as a very nice driver and that’s how I priced It.

Yes, Bloomsburg PA. I do have some spare oem parts to go with it and the original grille piece is included. The one wing is broken off from PO but it’s fixable if you really want it on the car. I have the honeycomb gray grille in it now with the shelby emblem. I’m not sure about the rocker trim. The brackets and holes were there when I purchased the car and I liked the look so I bought new ones from NPD and installed.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Considering that rollers go for 18-20k, 35k seems a bit low.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Considering that rollers go for 18-20k, 35k seems a bit low.
You’re probably right. My insurance came out and appraised it at 40k. I have close to that in it in all the parts. Time wasn’t even calculated, which is well over 200 hours. I’m waiting to hear back from my contact at BaT to see what they say. If I could get 37.5-38k I would be happy. 35k I’d be grumpy but could live with it.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Hmm...My 1965 came with the rocker trim as well.

Nice looking car. It should sell quickly!

·
Premium Member
13,936 Posts

Fastbacks came with the rocker trim but not the quarter panel ornaments.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I’m embarrassed to say what I paid for mine 2 months ago, but it’s a good deal more than that and I’d say based on pics comparable condition. Good luck !!

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I concur, I think your price is too low. Have had a few people ask about mine and after telling them that is was not currently for sale, I did some rather quick research and feel that 42-45 would make me think real hard about letting it go. Best of luck with your sale.

John

·
Registered
16 Posts
BaT is the way to go. It’ll show you what real market value if your car is. If you get what you want then so be it. Ive lost money on every project car I ever did. Which is only two. But still

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks all! I did hear back from BaT today. He said we should have no problem reaching that amount that I have it listed for here. I think I'll give it a whorl and see what happens. I'm going to set a reserve so it's a no lose situation. I'll leave it up here until they tell me it has to be taken down.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I concur, I expected 45k...

Allen
i think $45k is a bit optimistic for the condition. High $30s at best seems more appropriate based on the many FB and other mustangs I looked at over the last 12 months. I just missed a nicely done ‘66 FB w/347 stroker & T5 trans that had immaculate paint and interior for $45k

good luck op…please post a link so we can stay informed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts