Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m cruising in my 1965 Mustang Convertible through a SoCal residential neighborhood. I spot what looks to be a 1966 Mustang Coupe resting in the corner of a yard with a few other different abandoned cars. I park my car to go get a closer look. Sitting on the front steps is the homeowner. I inquire about one of the vehicles resting in his yard as he admires my own Mustang. My convertible is a daily driver and is thus pretty rough, but I talk about some of the work that I did, including installing AC, LED lighting, electric fan, tandem master cylinder, and such. He admires that I do all the work myself and informs me that he has two Mustangs. I’m like, “Oh really, I might be looking for another project.” He takes me to the side of his house and I inspect his 1966 Mustang Coupe. It looks to be a pony interior T code car that was parked about twenty years ago. I’m thinking, "Eh, not really interested.” But hey, for sub 10k, could be a great project car for someone.

I look up and I see a 1965 Mustang Fastback resting in the corner. It too has been parked for over twenty years. It’s a stock six cylinder car. The owner tells me that it was his daily driver back in the 90s, but he started to work on it a few years go before giving up. He striped some of the exterior paint, hence the surface rust, but he doesn’t have the time or energy to bring his dream car to life. The body looks pretty solid. No cancerous floor pan rust and lower parts of the rear quarters are clean, but it does have the typical rust on the driver door in the lower front corner. Unfortunately it looks like the dash was cut for a 1 DIN stereo. I see another small cut to the interior side of the passenger car. He tells me the car wears all original sheet metal, which looks to be accurate. The interior is mostly complete, back seat, trap door, trim and molding all present.

I inspect the door tag, (5R09T17…), which looks to be original (under a repaint) stating that the car is a Fastback with standard interior (63A), Skylight blue exterior paint (Y), Blue standard Interior (22), built on 25 of January (25A), Los Angeles (DSO 71), 2.83 (2), C4, 200 1V (6). Thus, it’s a very plain car with the only option that I could see being the C4. It even has the sub standard 13” rims. Judging by the unit #, looks to be a failry early 65 Fastback too?

I then take a look at the public VIN under the hood and all digits match the door tag except for for 09 is 07? Wait, that would indicate a coupe? The OEM VIN stars and the LH front apron look original with factory spot welds. I am unable to check the two other hidden VINs at the time, but I bet they match the public VIN. The owner claims that the car has never been in a wreck. The CA title matches the door tag with 5R09T…). So it looks like Fastback is carrying a factory mistamped VIN? What do you guys think? Photos attached. I blurred out some of the VIN digits to respect the owner as I don’t own the car (yet). Do you think this would affect value of this Fastback? With it being a T code, this could be an ideal candidate for a restomod as I would ditch the 6 cylinder and drivetrain components anyways. Anyhow, thanks for reading as it was a bit of a fun discovery. I made the owner an offer. Or should I run?

·
Premium Member
7,013 Posts
Not unheard of.
Buy both.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Wow nice find. Chances of anyone pulling a fast one by turning a coupe into a fastback by slapping a door/door tag and replacing a title on a 6 cylinder is slim and none. I passed on a 6 cylinder fastback that had the same type of issue with the title registration and door tag showed it being a coupe but obviously the vin/body was a fastback.

I would buy the car if I could get it cheap but I would not put alot of money into it. Its hard to turn down a 'cheap' fastback. You would be forever explaining why there is a coupe vin. And it does affect value somewhat especially if you resto it and expect to get the equivalent as another resto fastback (6 cylinder aside). Just my opinion.

Oh the fastback I looked at sold within a week so there will always be buyers lining up for a fastback. Good luck. I hope you get it! I love the patina!

Dean

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Ha!!! Another case of the same thing as my cars vin anomaly.....what an interesting find. I hope and bet if he has a title it will be with the 09 warranty tag vin, not the stamped apron 07. My 66 April Dearborne fastback has the exact same thing-door plate clearly original and shows 09 in the vin, all three stampings are 07. Not so cool on a red, K code, auto, GT car...I owned the car for 30 years before I even noticed it back 10 years ago when I went to retitle the car in MD from VA. It creates some interesting discussions at shows with knowledgeable and some not so knowledgable people that catch it and comment. I hope you can get the car and do with it as you want, Do not try to stamp over the 7, it is what it is!! If you don't mind, private message me the whole vin My vin is 6F09K314533, I bought it in 78 as a weathered, worn, normal rust spots unaltered, never wrecked driver in Fairfax VA.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
When a car is first titled, they use the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin from the manufacturer. Most of the time this matches what is on the car, but remember humans are involved.

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
For the OP: My VIN is 5R09C166*** and as far as I can tell, that puts it in late December 64 timeframe. If the door tag is correct, it should give you the scheduled build date on the FB you found.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm hearing VIN mistamps are fairly common. In the 80s and 90s, nobody really cared about these little things back then when the cars were not worth as much and repo parts were limited. I mean, I've seen Coupe VINs on expensive Fastback Eleanor clones and those are obviously rebodies. Everything seems to indicate that this is indeed a factory born Fastback, but someone on the assembly line wasn't paying attention. I know of another 65 Fastback where it is stamped 5R09C on the apron, but the CA title says 5R09Z, which more than likely indicates another case of human error. However, a title can be fixed.

·
Registered
189 Posts
You could do some unusual mods with that too. A dealer accessory AM 8-track may cover the DIN cuts. Turbocharge the 6, or put in a 2.3 from a T-bird TurboCoupe.

Wish you luck.

·
Premium Member
13,739 Posts
I know of another 65 Fastback where it is stamped 5R09C on the apron, but the CA title says 5R09Z, which more than likely indicates another case of human error. However, a title can be fixed.
When I got my '65 fastback 5R09C139711 it came with a hand typed title Oklahoma showing 5R09O139711. I went down to the DMV with a pencil rubbing of the fender apron VIN, a page spelling out the significance of each digit in the VIN and showed them that there was no engine with an O code. They told me the only way to get it corrected was to bring the car there on a Tuesday when the Auto Theft Task Force cop is there and let him authorize a TX title with the correct VIN. It cost me $40 but I got it done.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts