Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping that by joining this group someone can help me out with some advice or suggestions. We have a 1965 Mustang GT that we are wanting to restore. When we got the car, it had already been mostly gutted and some body parts swapped. We believe that it originally was Wimbledon White or turquoise/Aqua colored as the seats were aqua/white. However, we would like to do something different.

We like the light blue/white Deluxe seats and I'm trying to find out what interior/exterior paints from 1965 were used in combination with them. We've been ordering parts from National Parts Depot and so came up with these seats, medium blue carpet (as they don't sell light blue for some reason) and of course the darker blue dash pad with them only selling it in black, red, or blue so trying to match things up the best we can.

I did find someone on here had a Caspian Blue car with the light blue/white seats. I don't really care for the dark blue but love the silver blue poly! Looking at pictures of one silver blue poly to another online I wonder if it's really given me the true picture as they look a little different. Is it a real light blue or a deeper blue? I have just been searching mainly for pictures or posts about what others did but haven't come up with much luck on the light blue/white interior.

Also any help with the interior paint vs exterior paint would be appreciated. Is there something that we need to do differently for these two. Should we paint the entire car, inside and out, one color or would we use a different color on the inside to match the seats etc? I also read something about how they used to something special with the interior paint to make it look 'vinyl' like the seats?

Thanks so much!

Bobbie

·
Registered
35,893 Posts
IIRC, the blue/white interior was available with any of blue exterior paints, and white.

However, in you place I'd definitely go with the aqua/white interior, about the rarest 65 color combo was Cascade Green with Aqua/White deluxe interior. I've been "into" Mustangs since '66, and until last summer I'd never seen this combo. If you had seen it, you wouldn't be asking, you'd be ordering the paint and upholstery. :)

Mustang interiors did not have any exterior color in them. A few cases, such as the Silver Blue Poly with light blue interior were similar inside and out, but it was just coincidence.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
22 GT:

You just answered a question that has been burning me for for a while, but have been unable to find an answer. Your statement that interiors never had any exterior color in them was key.

I have a 6B blue interior and the and have the paint codes for a light blue paint for the interior but it matches the Brittany blue so well, my restoration guys wanted to use the exterior paint on the interior. I just gave them the go ahead to use the interior paint codes, not to use the exterior paint.

Thanks for your expertise and time devoted to this forum!

·
Registered
35,893 Posts
You'll be a very happy camper with that combo.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Aqua and white never got paired up with Cascade Green. Cascade was a 64.5 dark green color and it was replaced with Ivy Green, and Ivy also was not paired up with
Aqua and white. Cascade and Ivy green would clash with aqua.
Aqua and white would be with exterior of white, black and have seen it in Twilight
Turquoise.

Got this info from 65 Facts book. They didn't mention it with Twilight Turquoise ext. but have seen it aqua and white Pony Int. Think 65 Pony had one.

·
Registered
35,978 Posts
On your interior surfaces use an acrylic lacquer paint. If you need to repaint a dash pad or other flexible surface, use an interior vinyl dye (paint). On your exterior, the choice is up to you or your painter between single-stage, base-clear and enamel, urethane, lacquer, etc. depending on the durability and finish required.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts