Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not mine, but I figured I would share as this car may still be out there, if so, the transmission should be reunited.

·
Registered
229 Posts
5F09K610860?
Interesting to see such a late VIN still has the HEH-T and not the BX. Not much HiPo left in it though.

·
Premium Member
14,053 Posts
For street driving the close ratio toploaders and T-10’s were not that much fun to drive for me. Give me a wide ratio Toploader any day.

Unlike a race course, street driving is packed with stop lights and stop signs. Which take all the fun out of using those close ratio transmissions.

Z

PS $1,200 seems low for any rebuilt Toploader, close or wide ratio ???

·
Registered
99 Posts
For street driving the close ratio toploaders and T-10’s were not that much fun to drive for me. Give me a wide ratio Toploader any day.

Unlike a race course, street driving is packed with stop lights and stop signs. Which take all the fun out of using those close ratio transmissions.

Z

PS $1,200 seems low for any rebuilt Toploader, close or wide ratio ???
I could not agree with you more.

A rebuilt SB toploader is at least a ~$1500 piece. After all you aren’t providing the core In this case. And this is a Hipo trans. I’d think ~$2500+?

+2 on the wide vs close ratio. I took the stock close ratio trans out of my 69 GT350 and put in a wide ratio. No worries, the vin stamped original is sitting snuggled in the garage.

Interesting find.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Sounds like you have to change the input shaft for a mustang - the tip has been shortened.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Not mine, but I figured I would share as this car may still be out there, if so, the transmission should be reunited.
I have a Toploader out of a 66 K car. Bought it out of someone's garage about 30 years ago. Someone here actually tracked down the car and the current owner, but they weren't interested in the transmission. I was willing to trade their original trans for another Toploader, but no dice. So I'm still running it.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
This tailhousing photo is from David Key toploader transmissions. Does the top one match the one for sale ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts